Nice to meet you all!

Kaiko

Hi there! 

I just realized I never actually introduced myself, lol. So here I go!

Hey! I’m Kaiko (my nickname almost everywhere) and I’m a proud Mexican keeper. 
I started keeping roaches about 6 years ago, when I bought my first hisser colony from Petco, lmao. They were probably portentosa hybrids but it was enough to make me fall in love with roaches. Since then, I’ve been binging on books, articles and pretty much everything I can find about them. 

I’m currently keeping and raising Gromphadorhina sp. hybrid, Elliptorhina javanica, Blaptica dubia and Therea bernhardti. Sometimes I’d use dubia nymphs to feed my Leopard Gecko, but they’re mostly all “pets”.

Sadly the hobby in my country isn’t as big as in other places, but I can proudly say I’ve contributed a lot to it! As a result, we’re constantly looking for sellers willing to ship to México (we already have a list so pm me if interested!)

In addition, I’d also love to make new friends within the hobby! So please, feel free to message me. I keep tarantulas, true spiders, snails and other bugs too!

My biggest hisser male.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kaiko said:

Hi there! 

I just realized I never actually introduced myself, lol. So here I go!

Hey! I’m Kaiko (my nickname almost everywhere) and I’m a proud Mexican keeper. 
I started keeping roaches about 6 years ago, when I bought my first hisser colony from Petco, lmao. They were probably portentosa hybrids but it was enough to make me fall in love with roaches. Since then, I’ve been binging on books, articles and pretty much everything I can find about them. 

I’m currently keeping and raising Gromphadorhina sp. hybrid, Elliptorhina javanica, Blaptica dubia and Therea bernhardti. Sometimes I’d use dubia nymphs to feed my Leopard Gecko, but they’re mostly all “pets”.

Sadly the hobby in my country isn’t as big as in other places, but I can proudly say I’ve contributed a lot to it! As a result, we’re constantly looking for sellers willing to ship to México (we already have a list so pm me if interested!)

In addition, I’d also love to make new friends within the hobby! So please, feel free to message me. I keep tarantulas, true spiders, snails and other bugs too!

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here! 😁 Do you have any native Mexico species of roaches? Lots of interesting ones down there, even in northern Mexico (well, mostly Arenivaga spp. there, which I personally find very interesting). But far southern Mexico has the most variety, particularly in the rainforests.

Thanks!

unfortunately, I don’t. As I mentioned, the hobby is still growing and sadly, it’s become pretty difficult to collect them because of the “high delinquency situation”… a lot of biologists had been killed so not many people want to take the risk anymore 😕

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kaiko said:

Thanks!

unfortunately, I don’t. As I mentioned, the hobby is still growing and sadly, it’s become pretty difficult to collect them because of the “high delinquency situation”… a lot of biologists had been killed so not many people want to take the risk anymore 😕

Sorry to hear that, that's pretty scary... I hope you're able to go collecting safely one day.

Hey Kaiko! The roach in your profile pic is beautiful. I'm also new here...except I know significantly less than everyone else! A friend of mine gave me a few hisser roaches she got from about a year and a half ago, and now I have a little growing colony :) clunkily working toward building a bio-active habitat for them. Love to meet new people and keep learning!