nut shells

crittergu

I used the shells of those bags o nuts(mix of walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts, almonds etc.) as hidey homes from roly pollies when I was little. Anyone know if their are any possible bad things if they are used with roaches?

I should not be a problem. I had used walnut and pecan shell in the substrate at one point to help keep it loose for burrowing, but found it to be too heavy adn hard for them to burrow in when damp so I quit using it. But otherwise it was not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I should not be a problem. I had used walnut and pecan shell in the substrate at one point to help keep it loose for burrowing, but found it to be too heavy adn hard for them to burrow in when damp so I quit using it. But otherwise it was not a problem.

I know they are not organic...so is pesticide residue a problem? Also, will the roaches consume any nut bits left in their or will it cause a mold problem?

I know they are not organic...so is pesticide residue a problem? Also, will the roaches consume any nut bits left in their or will it cause a mold problem?

??? Nut shells are completely organic. Just like a dead leaf only they decay more slowly. Pesticide residue breaks down so unless the shells were sprayed with a pesticide within the past few weeks I would not think it to be a problem, depending on where they were when sprayed. On/under a tree or along the foundation of your house? Different pesticides are used in different places.

Roaches may consume the nut bits, but if they do not the nut bits will not mold due to the nut oils in it.

• 2 weeks later...
I mean, with todays labeling, the company(these are the purchased ones) did not even bother putting "organic" on the bag. Not sure what they'd need to spray the trees with but you may be right on the degrading part.

If you buy the crushed shells from a petstore they are safe.. they often sell crushed walnut shells or pecan shells. Some plant nursuries sell pecan shell mulch which (around here) may also include a few roaches in the bag....(Periplaneta sp.)

If you buy the crushed shells from a petstore they are safe.. they often sell crushed walnut shells or pecan shells. Some plant nursuries sell pecan shell mulch which (around here) may also include a few roaches in the bag....(Periplaneta sp.)

Never seen that, but I'm talking here of leftovers after cracking walnuts, almonds, etc.