Feeding Frequency

Skyvie

Hey, has anyone found that feeding at a certain interval (every day, weekly, etc.) has the most beneficial effect on one's colony? I know there's a lot of variation here, but does something generally work best for you? Thoughts or experiences?

Typically the length of days between feeding depends on how much perishable produce you use for hydration. Too much apples, oranges,leafy vegetables, squash, etc will attract fruit flies, gnats, mold, and smell. Since most keepers have higher temperatures in our containers, it can get ugly quickly if perishables are left more than 2-3 days. So I try to put enough perishables in the containers that they are eaten by the 3 day mark. Carrots seem to last twice that before needing removal.

CHEERS!

Nick

That's pretty much what I do, too, because of the mold. I also have to make sure the dry food doesn't sit too long in some very humid enclosures, otherwise there is a chance of that going off, as well.

Do most of you leave the dry food in perpetually, or do you feed for a few days and skip a day (or similar)? I heard how some people feed once a week, but that must be fruits and not dry food, right? (I'd love to hear if doing things like that had any appreciable difference.)

I give fresh veggies/fruit once or twice a week and remove it when I see mold.  Dry food I try to keep available at all times. Like you said with high humidity enclosures thats not possible, so they get a small amount once or twice a week.

Thanks for the response, it's good to see that most of us naturally tend to do the same thing. I guess the simplicity is one reason why we love keeping these insects!

• Like 1

I feed all of mine once a week. That includes protein and produce. My schedule is a little too hectic to feed more than once a week, so I've made it work by making sure everyone has leaves and wood to munch on if they need a snack. If I do a quick check and see mold I remove the food. Feeding once a week doesn't seem to hurt any of my colonies because they're all reproducing very readily and I haven't had any issues with growth. 

Thanks for the input, it's exactly the sort of thing I was wondering! That's great that feeding frequency doesn't affect much, as long as there's no mold and things to "nibble." All of my colonies also have hardwood leaves as "supplemental" feeding. (Roach: Hey, some days you just feel like chewin' some leaves, y'know whaddam sayin? :lol:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, smc85 said:

It will only be for the week while I go over the road for work and Friday to Sunday will be fruits and vegetables

You should have specified that lol your post made it look like you were asking if you didn't have to feed roaches fruit and veggies at all.

Yes they will be fine for a week. I use tiny water bottle caps as water dishes on days I don't give my roaches fruit.

It will only be for the week while I go over the road for work and Friday to Sunday will be fruits and vegetables

Lol well I give them water crystals and dry food and fruit and vegetables lol I should have said something