Damaged genitals after mating?

Hiya, you guys :)

So uh... I just actually witnessed two of my A. tesselata males (in my males-only box) try to mate with each other. I actually caught some of them dancing for the other males before, but usually the other party would attack the presenting male. This time, though, the males ended up butt-to-butt (meaning the other male just rolled with it). 

One male hooked onto the other's outer butt and now his (what I assume is his) penis is just... hanging out? 

I put him in a quarantine box to hopefully give him some alone time to sort out his genitals. It's night time in Germany right now (12.30 pm) and I hope when I get up in 6 hours he'll be all good... or else I might have to mercy-kill him :(

Do you think maybe he'll be able to retract his penis properly? Or is he doomed?

Thanks in advance, as always!

IMG_20180716_002341.jpg

IMG_20180716_002420.jpg

• 2 years later...

huh. interesting. never knew this could happen. I have observed this behavior in my dubias but never have seen any have difficulties retracting their genitals. good to know this is possible, so if it does happen to me I`ll know it`s happened before.

• 2 months later...

wow so this actually just happened to me with two male dubias a while ago. both had at least some of their genitalia just sticking out. one spent about a week gradually deteriorating and eventually passed. the other is still alive today but still has his genitalia partially out. (since the incident he has been able to pull some of it back in.) so i would say some survive, others do not. I would just give them time and if they act normal otherwise, I would see no need to euthanize them.