Enclosure v. 2

Bhjjr

I've had to start over because the hot glue I used to secure the stainless steel mesh is starting to peel from tub walls.

I read how people had wrote that hot glue wasn't working for them, but I didn't know what they meant until now.

I purchased a plastic welder with a small triangle shaped welding piece (like an iron) and some brass mesh and gave it a go just now. 

Besides the gas emitted from melting plastic I'm happy with my first try.

20220316_201056.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the future of making bug tubs, hot glue is dead.

I'm making a new set of tubs this way with stainless steel mesh.

It's faster, looks nicer, last longer, and less expensive cuz I'm not buying hot glue sticks. 

This is so good I had to give this a bump

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Update on this. I haven't had any more tears in the brass. I have moved smaller species into tubs with brass ventilation and kept larger species in tubs with stainless steel mesh ventilation.

The stainless is much more difficult to melt into the tub than the brass mesh.

I never got around to melting all the stainless mesh into the tubs and in those instances the original hot glue has held up pretty well over time. If the hot glue does start to peel off, it is very easy to add more. But stripping the hot glue off and then welding the screen back on is very time consuming.