First colony in texas

I just ordered a starter Colony and I live in Texas. Could anyone help me with what exactly I need and don’t need. Last time I started a colony and it was doing great and then they kept dying. I had the water crystals, roach chow, fresh food, heat, tub with ventilation on top, tape around the inside edges, And egg cartons. This is for a Dubia breeding colony.

Strange, your set up sounds good. What is the "tape around the inside edges" for? Dubia don't climb

4 hours ago, Britt.k said:

I just ordered a starter Colony and I live in Texas. Could anyone help me with what exactly I need and don’t need. Last time I started a colony and it was doing great and then they kept dying. I had the water crystals, roach chow, fresh food, heat, tub with ventilation on top, tape around the inside edges, And egg cartons. This is for a Dubia breeding colony

For what it's worth, I use egg cartons in a tub like you do. I try to keep the temp at 70+. I feed apples and fish food and mist with a spray bottle twice a week. Rarely they'll also get various fruit left overs.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend keeping dubias with at least a tiny bit of substrate (coco fiber, etc). Roaches don't usually just flat-out die, so it could be a problem with too much heat, lack of moisture or something else. Substrate will help with thermoregulation and hydroregulation. 

• Like 1