safety question about lat enclosure

mlc

I was wondering if instead of egg crates I could use black styrophoam. I don't know how to describe it. If you go in your basement sometimes you will see a piece of black foam that fits around your copper plumbing pipes. I have access to hundreds of these at work and I thought they would be good for an enclosure because they are black, which means they will be in the total dark. they are long and hollow giving them alot of room to roam and because they are a insulation device they probaly will keep in warmth. Allthough I may not use them because it's so easy to bang together a few egg crates and get the roaches out. not sure how I would do that with foam tubes. Anyway, would the raoches eat the insulation tubes and is it bad for them if they do?

.... Anyway, would the raoches eat the insulation tubes and is it bad for them if they do?

No, it does not seem harmful. Yes, they would eat a little (very little), but the real problem is that they would tear it apart. I have tried a number of items as roach housing, and any kind of foam product gets chewed apart into little tiny pieces. So from what I have tried I would not recommend it. :(

But this is only from my trials and errors.... has anyone had any luck with foam structures in a roach bin ??

I had a floral foam peice that cut out a tunnel in, for under the substrate, for a T once. It died however (bad molt, probably humidity related) I threw it in the hisser tank, it was in there for quite a while before they started to tear it apart.

No, it does not seem harmful. Yes, they would eat a little (very little), but the real problem is that they would tear it apart. I have tried a number of items as roach housing, and any kind of foam product gets chewed apart into little tiny pieces. So from what I have tried I would not recommend it. :(

But this is only from my trials and errors.... has anyone had any luck with foam structures in a roach bin ??