Oops! I did it again.

AAARRRGGGHHH! I just disturbed a female hisser with an ooth. ! I was going to change the substrate in the tank to a more nymph friendly strate, when I pulled it off the shelf.... there she was... running under the log. how aggravating. Not that I NEED any more roaches. But I did kind of want a new crop. So what brought all this on is... I spotted 3 nymphs the other evening. I searched the tank but that was all I could find. I did find several large hard oothecae. I figure something must be wrong with their living conditions. I have a dozen (2 males) living in a 10gal. on cypress bedding substrate. They eat mostly lettuces with some fish flake. There is also some kibble in there. I use a water gel from Oasis (?). I don't have any heat or light on them. House stays in the 70's. I have had babies before under identical conditions. I wonder what is causing all the aborts? Why only 3 nymphs? I will search the substrate more thoroughly as soon as it is safe to move the expectant female. Anyone have any idea when that might be? tonight? tomorrow? I plan on putting them on a mix of peat and bed-a-beast. would vermiculite be a good addition? I never mist my roaches, is this something i shoud be doing?

Ok, as I keep mine on cypress mulch about 2 inches deep and have loads of nymphs all the time, this is what I can see that differs possibly from what I am doing:

Several aborted ootheca can occur when there is a diet/water issue. I would feed less lettuce and more spinach, fruits, apples and carrots, squash, etc. Instead of fish flakes try pellets or sticks whcih will have a higher gluten content (I dont know that it makes a difference, but seems to). Occasional kibble should be good for them. I would put a reptile heat pad under one end of thier enclosure so that it might get to 80 ish degrees to assist in ootheca developement. If a female was showing an ootheca, it can be 30-90 days before birth occurs, depending on a number of factors. Misting occasionall is a very good thing. In thier natural conditions, the environment appears dry or damp but the humidity is always present if not overbearing.

Moving the mother should be safe as long as the ootheca is not showing and she is handled gently.

Hope this helps.

Ok, as I keep mine on cypress mulch about 2 inches deep and have loads of nymphs all the time, this is what I can see that differs possibly from what I am doing:

Several aborted ootheca can occur when there is a diet/water issue. I would feed less lettuce and more spinach, fruits, apples and carrots, squash, etc. Instead of fish flakes try pellets or sticks whcih will have a higher gluten content (I dont know that it makes a difference, but seems to). Occasional kibble should be good for them. I would put a reptile heat pad under one end of thier enclosure so that it might get to 80 ish degrees to assist in ootheca developement. If a female was showing an ootheca, it can be 30-90 days before birth occurs, depending on a number of factors. Misting occasionall is a very good thing. In thier natural conditions, the environment appears dry or damp but the humidity is always present if not overbearing.

Moving the mother should be safe as long as the ootheca is not showing and she is handled gently.

Hope this helps.

So the cypress is okay, It seems to me it would be neater than the other mix... I will mist. Once a day too much? I mist my spiders almost every day and can include the roaches with them. It appears she has aborted. the whole oothecae is out, although still somewhat attached to her. It has been about 45 minutes. I will try to add some nutritional variety for them. I'm bummed. <_< I will let her recover tonight and move them tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

I would not sweat it, really. It sounds like they are a productive bunch and some minor changes and you will have new loads of offspring. Notes: I use cypress mulch in most of my roach enclosures, and coconut product in others. Many also have hardwood leaves mixed into the coco-product. As far as hissers, mist every other day and see if that helps.

I've eliminated substrate in all my hisser's boxes (Gromphadorhina portentosa, G.grandidieri, G.oblongonata, Elliptorhina chopardi, Princisia sp.)... only eggcrates and three little dishes (petri) for dry food (pond sticks), fresh food (veggies and fruits) and water crystals...

Only half of the box is heated.

They're breeding a lot, growing fast and happy....

I appreciate all the advice. I keep them for pets, so I don't need too many, I don't really want them to breed.....much. I need enough to replenish my stock and I like to have some extras to give to people that I can talk in to it. Hissers are such neat, easy pets. I was wondering about inbreeding. Is that a big concern when it comes to bugs?

I was wondering about inbreeding. Is that a big concern when it comes to bugs?

Not these roaches, don't worry about it! Other insects, like grashoppers and butterflies for instance, are much mure susceptible. Whilst inbreeding they grow smaller with less and less offspring.

• 7 months later...