Pygmy Locusts Breeding Project

Ralph

I caught 8 Paratettix sp. in west Illinois today. I set them up in a terrarium with sand, rocks, and grasses. I've observed 1 mating and feeding on algae. No pics because of their smallness. I figured I'd start a thread on these little-known buggers.

I've bred field crix many times, as with grasshoppers. My main problem is with the young, keeping them in an escape-free, humidity-controllable container. Hopefully these more terrestrial grasshoppers are as easy as crickets.

All are adults, but I'm assuming the young (if I get any) will be able to molt off the grasses or taller rocks. They've eaten none of the planted plants, but lots of algae and some green bean. Today I saw several abdomen-sized holes in the ground, so I'm hoping it's evidence of oviposition. The males ride the females for hours, maybe to double their camouflage effectiveness?

• 2 weeks later...

Seen some larger holes in the sand, and lots of matings. Had one death, a male. They seem to like fish food a lot.

Update August 3:

The remaining 6 are still very vigorous. There are still oviposition holes being made, and they seem fond of dead grasses.