tenebrio molitor

robertcarst

Hello everyone. This is my first post and would really need your knowledge. Are there different larvae of tenebrio molitor. What I mean is: can mealworms differ in size so that they can be consider a different kind? I read somewhere that there are 4 types of mealworms according to their size. Is this true?

Thanks for your time. :rolleyes:

I think mealworms of the same species are often sold in different size lots. "Superworms" are Zophobas morio though, and there might be another species or two.

I think mealworms of the same species are often sold in different size lots. "Superworms" are Zophobas morio though, and there might be another species or two.

I did a little research and found Tenebrio obscurus (mini mealworm) they reach 12-19 mm. Also the beetles (adults) of the mealworm, superworm and mini mealworm are all members of the family Darkling beetle, and it is estimated that this family of bugs consists of nearly 20.000 members, so I guess there are 20.000 larvae, but these three are the only ones that are used as food for reptiles and arachnids.

post-812-1248448957_thumb.jpg

That's interesting. I'm breeding a small darkling beetle with my wood roaches. They produce shorter, fatter larvae than commercial mealworms, but my mantids don't seem to like them.

You mean the pupae? I haven't tried that. I only used the larvae when I was really hurting for food, and I don't have pupae around all the time. But they probably would be more appealing because of the softer shell.