Twitchy behavior in nymphs

Ralph

As you can see in my sig, I got my 2nd generation of hissers recently. There were only a dozen because of the length of gestation, which I think was due to my low temp. I need to get a heat lamp. Anyway, one of the nymphs began acting twitchy and erratic yesterday, often falling on its back. That one died, and now another is exhibiting this type of action. I've fed them some honey (the adults love it), flake fish food, and dog food. Is this some disease, or just the weaker ones dying off?

As you can see in my sig, I got my 2nd generation of hissers recently. There were only a dozen because of the length of gestation, which I think was due to my low temp. I need to get a heat lamp. Anyway, one of the nymphs began acting twitchy and erratic yesterday, often falling on its back. That one died, and now another is exhibiting this type of action. I've fed them some honey (the adults love it), flake fish food, and dog food. Is this some disease, or just the weaker ones dying off?

Dont give them honey, almonds, or anything else wierd (I mean atypical). Stuff like that can have constituants that are harmful to roaches.

As for why they are sick/dying supply more info.

Temps day and night?

How do they get moisture?

What else do you feed them?

Do they have substrate?

Is there any ventilation?

Do you handle them?

Do you see any mites on them?

Keep them in the 80's for temps. Feed them dry food items inbetween fresh food items like carrots, apples, dark green leafy things (spinach), and others like zucchini, etc. They do not need a water dish if fed this way. Every couple / few days mist them but make sure the cage dries out inbetween and there is no leftover food in the cage. The number of nymphs a female has can be influenced by many other factors than just temp....

I would recommend the above instructions and destroy any dead/dying roaches immediately.

I've gotten rid of the wierd one. Moisture is given by wetting the egg carton with a bit of water or spraying. About room temperature, and the only handling I've done with the babies is for transportation. There is ventilation through a screen lid, and no mites on the young or adults. I always remove old food, and have had it humid->dry->humid->dry like you said. The adults do go crazy for the honey, but I wouldn't be that surprised if it could be negative.

I regularly feed:

Broccoli

Green Beans

Apple

Pear

Grapes

Romaine Lettuce

Cooked Carrots

Dog/Fish Food

and more rarely:

Orange

Watermelon

Oak/Maple Leaves

Ralph, I think you may be over thinking things... Take a step back and relax my brotha!

I only provide the basic needs for my hissers (after much experimentation) and have great success with heath and population growth.

My setup:

(Ditch the egg cartons, I did!)

Ten gallon aquarium filled with an inch or less of clean potting soil (reputable source, cycle after there is a lot of visible frass) , old dry bark and branches (checked for parasites and stacked and arranged to allow a clearing for feeding and eliminate the threat of squishing), a two inch layer of vaseline around the top of the tank (everyone says "vaseline melts!" It was 107 degrees here today! No problems, just smear it well!). Forget the heat lamp! These roaches will breed at room temperature (not below 70ish)...

Honestly, the only amenities I provide them are as follows: A dish for fresh fruit / veggies (I rarely give them more than green apples and oranges, which are always taken), a dish for "feed" (grains, proteins, etc. I use Fluker's cricket feed, works wonders!), and a dish filled with floral foam for humidity and watering. Try floral foam (make sure it is the kind that absorbs water! This will let them drink and not drown).

Lol, that's my two cents! Love it or leave it, good luck! :P

Lol, they get a lot of attention! Actually, the adults are in a "naturalistic" setup with the addition of a cardboard box as a hide. Of course, they like the bark better anyway, so I'll probably end up ditching that. It's the nymphs with the egg carton.

I did have vaseline melt once, it killed 2 or 3 young nymphs a year or so ago. If you say they don't need extra heat, (and mine have bred without it), then I'll go without it. Thanks for your advice!

Maybe they are getting botulism from the honey (no, just kidding…probably). We need to remember that typically ‘roaches are r selected meaning they have many little nymphs through their lifespan in hope that a few will survive to adulthood. When you’re starting out a colony, it seems that every little nymph that dies is going to mean an unsuccessful colony; it’s heartbreaking. But hisser “gestation” is three months or so, an adult can live for three years, they can have like 40 nymphs at a time… a few little guys knocking off here and there seems bad but really it’s insignificant even though sad (especially when it’s your first generation). But, hopefully we can figure out what’s going on if you start loosing many of your offspring. Oh, I keep my hissers at room temp that ranges from 60’s in winter to mid/high 80’s in summer and they breed like, well, cockroaches!

I remember how I freaked out whenever any of my 1st gen. died! Hopefully my 2-3 other gravid females can add some nymphs. The remaining 10 are doing great though!