My Eurycotis decipiens Bin

The three lids contain water crystals, fruit of the day (oranges today), and pro-plan dog food with a little monkey chow. The leaf pile in the back right corner is two species of oak, maple and whatever Matt sent me when he shipped them. The branches are old oak branches that have been laying around in the weather for ten years. I soaked the branches in scalding hot water in a cooler over night and then let them dry in the sun for two or three weeks. Substrate is soil, coco chips and coco coir about 2-3" deep. I pour a cup or two of water in the corner under the water crystals, once a week or so. I had three out of ten die in there. Well I found three dead, but I've only ever counted six at a time after that. One could be hiding. They all seemed in tip top shape when I got them and it was a good two weeks before I found my first dead one, so I believe it to be my error. Do you think its too dry? I started misting them again after I found the dead ones and none have died since then. They all come out to drink when I mist too. Room humidity hovers between 40-50% and stays around 79-84 degrees all the time.

Should I mist more often?

Should I make the substrate wetter?

They seem to all be adults now, but any help here would be great.

qo6sll.jpg

iofd4g.jpg

Looks really good for making a huge number of E.decipiens. You may have to play with how much water goes onto the substrate. I would keep one end a little damp/wet, but if the egg cartons start to mold let it go dry with only misting and then resume a less-wet regimen. Really humid, not quite damp-almost-kinda-dry-ish.... my substrate looks dry on top but is otherwise obviously still retaining moisture below the top half inch.

All you need to do now is wait, really. Good set up, good temps, everything in order. Soon you will see little black flat ovals cruising all around the place (new nymphs). The nymphs get banded pretty quick, and they are very attractive as they grow and get closer to maturity.

***Note:

By the way, when you get that bin starting to fill with decipiens, that little orage wedge will need to be a quarter of a cantelope melon, or three carrots and an apple, or something to that effect.

Looks really good for making a huge number of E.decipiens. You may have to play with how much water goes onto the substrate. I would keep one end a little damp/wet, but if the egg cartons start to mold let it go dry with only misting and then resume a less-wet regimen. Really humid, not quite damp-almost-kinda-dry-ish.... my substrate looks dry on top but is otherwise obviously still retaining moisture below the top half inch.

All you need to do now is wait, really. Good set up, good temps, everything in order. Soon you will see little black flat ovals cruising all around the place (new nymphs). The nymphs get banded pretty quick, and they are very attractive as they grow and get closer to maturity.

***Note:

By the way, when you get that bin starting to fill with decipiens, that little orage wedge will need to be a quarter of a cantelope melon, or three carrots and an apple, or something to that effect.

Okay, got it. I think I need to wet it a bit more. They seem to stay above ground so I'm not as worried about how wet the substrate gets with them.

So they have a big appetite in groups, huh? Good to know. I'll check for ooths tomorrow. Probably a bit too early, but now I'm anxious.

Thank you for the tips.