hisser babies?

I was checking on Kafka, our hissing cockroach, when I noticed what appeared to be woodlice. I took them out to get a closer look, and i think I have baby hissers! They're super agile in comparison to their parents, and kind of just take off. I've only seen maybe ten of them or less. How did I miss them before?! Could they be hiding in the peat moss? How long until they get as big as the mommy roach? Should I be feeding them anything special? I have peach in there right now. I'm keeping the tank super moist. Wish I would have known earlier. But here's a video of one running across the table.

and a picture of the one at time of discovery

samsascage001.jpg

I've only seen maybe ten of them or less. How did I miss them before?! Could they be hiding in the peat moss?

Congrats on the babies! They are brilliant at hiding and you should double-check whatever you're using for cage defenses, as they are apt to squeezing into anywhere. There could be more than 10 as well, if you think about any little hole in a log or surface between things, they're sure to be there. The thing to look for is their little white-tipped antenna waving around (usually at night).

Nice name for the mom! ^_^ Anyway, keep them a bit more humid than the adults (but not too much!), and make sure they can't get out. As for feeding, it helps to grind up hard things like dog food or cereal to make it easier for them to eat. They mature in around a year, faster or slower depending on the temperature, food, and the degree of crowding/stress.

Nice name for the mom! ^_^ Anyway, keep them a bit more humid than the adults (but not too much!), and make sure they can't get out. As for feeding, it helps to grind up hard things like dog food or cereal to make it easier for them to eat. They mature in around a year, faster or slower depending on the temperature, food, and the degree of crowding/stress.

Awesome. :) So how old would you guess they are right now? i missed seeing them while they were white, which is a bit dissapointing.

They color up in around a day, so if you saw them when they were white then they probably hatched earlier that day. They should have their first molt in around two or three weeks. Were the Samsas the males?

They color up in around a day, so if you saw them when they were white then they probably hatched earlier that day. They should have their first molt in around two or three weeks. Were the Samsas the males?

This was the first time we saw them, at a dark grey color, so they must have grown. Yeah, the first two cockroaches we had were boys named samsa. The Girl, Kafka, we got with Samsa the second, kind of a joke on Johnny the Homocidal Manic. There's a cockroach in the book who he keeps killing, and it just keeps comeing back, and in his insanity, he doesn't realise it's numerous roaches, not just the one. Clever, but sad.