Lucihormetica subcincta nymph

Nanchantress

• 2 years later...

Thought I would share pics of what those cute little nymphs turned into. Out of the 11 nymphs I bought from herpetologyfrk in February 2012, only 1 turned out to be male. He has been very busy, however, and I now have easily over 50 offspring !

post-2617-0-90602400-1395800817_thumb.jpg

post-2617-0-15755400-1395800831_thumb.jpg

No, the male does not glow because his diet does not include the bioluminescent fungi they would eat in the wild. I feed them dead oak leaves and carrots which, I think, is why the spots are so orange instead of yellow.

Do they know which type of fungus is required? There are bioluminescent mushroom growing kits for sale, and they're listed as being safe for use around reptiles and amphibians. It would be awesome if the roaches were able to utilize them to glow in captivity!

Do they know which type of fungus is required? There are bioluminescent mushroom growing kits for sale, and they're listed as being safe for use around reptiles and amphibians. It would be awesome if the roaches were able to utilize them to glow in captivity!

I wouldn't risk it; the fungus which makes them glow is likely at least semi-specific to them and their environment. Experimenting in captivity is possible, but these guys don't reproduce all that easily or quickly from what I've heard (I had a few but they all died), so I wouldn't risk feeding them some random species of bioluminescent fungi to get them to glow.