Blatta lateralis molting issues

Laura519

I have two sets of Blatta lateralis nymphs that reproduced through parthenogenesis. One is now down to three individuals, though they all seem healthy and are on their second (I think) instar. The other set (set meaning all from the same ootheca) has six medium-size nymphs and one... that is still tiny and yellow-white, like a second-molt offspring. When this latter set was first molting, I noticed that they were all kind of off balance with each other but now they seem to have settled out and are all around the same molt with the exception of this one. I know parthenogenesis offspring can be very weak at first, but do you think this offspring will hold out? She was born on November 3rd and is still going strong.

Is there anything I can do that may help these to molt? Can I feed them white button mushrooms, for example? (Their cell walls have chitin which is also in the exoskeleton of roaches, right?) More water? I have tried to increase their humidity with few results, but I may just need more patience.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to say for sure because B. lateralis isn't know for regular bouts of parthenogenesis. I am curious, are you able to sex them at this age? I ask because true parthenogenics only produce female offspring. They will likely molt more randomly and be weak for the first few generations, at least until this genetic fluke starts to become self eugenic. At that point the strongest will be the only ones to survive ala natural selection...the inferior products will die off, if they even get to their adult molt and produce viable ootheca that is. Honestly I doubt hey will make it to the point of additional parthenogenic ootheca, they will likely die off in a few months before reaching adulthood. If not you have a good rarity and should attempt to stabilize the colony. As said, they are normally not self birthing.

Vfox, I appreciate your sincerity, but it is very depressing. These chickens are doing SO WELL right now, even the silly one who doesn't want to molt. The ones who are large enough are all females, but there is the one who is still off-white and teeny (obviously, too young) and also one who might be one molt behind being properly sex-able, if you know what I mean. I have hope for them. How long does it take the lovalies to become adults usually?

I have already secured a spot at the rearing section of the college that I'm going to, so they will be moving with me there and hopefully I can stabilize their colony and create more feminist babies.

I do honestly hope they survive, it would be pretty cool to have another fully parthenogenic species available. Not to mention the lack of wings make them more appealing to the general public as a feeder.

They take (depending on temps) 3-5 months to mature. On average anyway...I have some that took ~9 months to mature because I don't have them heated like my old colony. It's pretty variable, but 85-90F with 75+ humidity will get you adults pretty quickly.

Don't let me be the fly in the soup either. Give it your best and get their numbers exploding! :)