Perfect dubia conditions, yet no breeding.

Hi guys, new to the forums.

I have a DARK BLUE (not clear)plastic bin with 350+ dubia roaches in it. They were bought from a few different vendors to help with the incest problems some people say they can have.

I've had this bin up for a few months now. My first batch of dubias are huge, big as my thumb almost. The others are mostly adults too.

--I use a ceramic heat bulb, with a Zoo Med thermostat that clocks off the temperature around 90, but the temp can spike UP TO 95 due to ceramic bulb retaining heat. Temp should never drop below 87 unless I take the lid off.

--I have a humidifier on a timer. 7 times a day, they get 15 minutes of this humidifier. Humidity stays between 40% and 70% (maybe higher).

--They have eggflats and toiletpaper rolls for hiding places.

Diet:

Oranges, grape fruit, and apples so far. I found that carrots kinda make the bin smell weird. So keep it sweet.

And a dry cat food, flake fish food, pellet fish food combo I make. I grind it all up into a fine powder and set it in a covered dish they can crawl into and eat from.

I also have a rock like water dish. Has traction, and no vertical edges, no drowners yet. It's no more than an inch deep.

Is there an optimum food for breeding? There's not 1 small dubia in my bin now. Huge males and females flopping all over the place. I don't even think I have anymore nymphs.

I'm totally stumped that over 2 months, and I have not 1 baby or nymph to show for it.

Only time I bother them is if I'm feeding fruits/adding water. Or... That's it. They aren't bothered.

What other factor am I missing out on, anything simple? If it's not posted in here, then I'm likely not doing it.

Mabye try lowering the daytime temp to 75, I've had dubia breed and thrive at 68 F so 75 should be great. I would mist water over the dry cat food it makes it much easier to eat and once a month put in cooked plain hamburger meat it's the ultimate protein they love! Along with the water dish try misting the sides with water so more drink. Perhaps it being dark all the time makes them refuse to breed, try finding some way to let some light in just provide them places to hide during the day. If your roaches are big that's a good sign perhaps pregnant females are more relaxed in your colony and incubate the eggs inside longer, mine do that some as long as 2 or more months between births!

um i think you might be over-thinking you set up really, my set up is a big container with air vents and and a heat pad i don't spray the bin and i still get really good breeding. just keep you temps in the mid 80's and have patience, it can take a while for a new colony to start breeding so just leave them alone.

I just opened the bin to check the humidity, as I had to get a new timer b/c my last one kept resetting.

I might have seen a small one or two babies in there. Which is exciting but I don't want them to be disturbed anymore than they have to.

And if I just let things go, my humidity will drop to 20% or less. I hear they start dying off around there due to drying out after molting.

that would be a bit low lol where are you, i'm in NJ the average humidity doesn't really drop that much except during the middle of winter. hell in some it some times get's to around 90%.

that would be a bit low lol where are you, i'm in NJ the average humidity doesn't really drop that much except during the middle of winter. hell in some it some times get's to around 90%.

.... Whoa. I live in Texas, Dallas area. A lot of people say its humid here but my bin will drop to 20% easily if I let it go.

With 90% humidity I bet you never had to drink water.

"I'm thirsty..." <breaths air in> "I'm hydrated".

lol it actually suck because we once had a week where the humidity stayed around 70%-80% and it was like 105 degrees that is a horrible combination

Geez with humidity like that - no pet would need spray bottles or humidifiers.