Lucihormetica subcincta as feeders?

AlexS

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using Lucihormetica subcincta as a feeder roach? Has anyone found that they make good feeders?

I keep mainly geckos and varanids, and have several colonies of the more common feeder roaches: Dubias, Eublaberus prosticus, various Blaberus sp. and Cuban Burrowing Roaches, but I have noticed that a lot of my reptiles have distinct preferences for certain types and wanted to start experimenting with various species not often used as feeders to see if I can find something that they'll really like.

Kindest regards,

Alex

In my opinion, L. subsinctas are way too expensive and way too beautiful to be used as feeders. The roaches cost anywhere from $4 to $8 apiece and I believe they have a very slow growth rate and the gestation period is 3 to 5 months. I think it would take way too long to develop a sustainable feeder colony.

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply. If I do set up any breeding colonies of species not often used as feeders, they will be supplemental to the other colonies I have going at the moment, so breeding speed isn't a big concern for me, thinking more along the lines of how soft-bodied a particular species is. That being said, if you as a roach enthusiast think they're too beautiful to feed, then I can certainly respect that. The main reason I lighted on Lucihormetica subcincta as a potential candidate was because I remember a forum post (not sure which forum) where someone compared them to dubias, and also because they consume bio-luminescent fungi and I'm currently experimenting with the use of these fungi for colour enhancement in the reptiles I keep.

Kindest regards,

Alex

Hi,

I got my first starter culture of the Honey Mushroom, an edible luminescent fungi, from a UK supplier, The Mushroom Box. I believe Black Jungle Terrarium supply sell a starter culture for you guys in the US. Most luminous fungi aren't suitable as human foodstuffs, but there is no research for reptiles so progress is slow. I'm feeding species other than the Honey mushroom to my isopod colonies and to my feeder roach colonies without ill effect thus far, so fingers crossed.

Kindest regards,

Alex