Fruit flies and gnats

I assume these little buggers won't hurt the roaches? I have both. I wouldn't care, except that my roach tanks are in my room and the occasional high-flying gnat always seems to head for my face. 

They're actually going to be useful, though. I'm getting some carnivorous plants for Christmas, particularly sundews (little sticky guys that make a sweet smell to attract gnats), and they'll be going on the windowsill right above the tanks. I don't expect them to eliminate the gnats, there will always be some that stay in the cage and breed where the plants can't get them, but the sundews will probably like having a fairly steady food supply, and I assume that having sweet-smelling traps right up above the tanks will catch all the bothersome escapees before they get in my face. 

• Like 1

I've seen some little maggots in the bottom of a tiny temporary enclosure. Nothing dead in there for them to eat, so I'm pretty sure they're gnat or FF larvae, but they are kinda icky. They'll be good sundew food, though.

If you have a sunny window and access to distilled water, you might actually be able to keep a few sundews alive. Look into Cape sundews if you're interested, they're pretty easy to keep alive and should be magnets for little flying pests.

• Like 1