Jump to content

Neurotoxin in Feeder Cockroaches


Marrader21

Recommended Posts

So I recently found out that cockroaches have neurotoxins that are released when eaten and it has caused people to die from asphyxiation. I am curious as to why reptiles and other invertebrates can eat them with no ill effects? Do they not eat enough in one sitting, or do the toxins not effect them? Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only way there'd be a neurotoxin issue is if the roach was eating neurotoxins first, and even then you'd probably have to eat a ton of them before dying. If it's that guy trying to get the ball python, he could have been allergic or he could have gotten one lodged in his throat and choked to death. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember that story I thought he had a shellfish allergy and didn't know he was also allergic to roaches being they are all arthropods. 

Some roaches do have defensive mechanisms that produce nauxious  chemicals but it's rare in the roach world and it's known those spieces don't works as feeders even for reptiles. Pretty sure gold metal roaches are one of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger that... so it's not a toxin issue then but an allergen thing; that makes sense.  I didnt find any specific incidents but came across a hand full of people who were talking about it... just wanted to clear the air; this was more for my wife's peace of mind. When she heard that people have died from eating roaches she became concerned for our Leo's and blue toung. When I looked into it the words "neurotoxin" and "asphyxiation" were all over the place.

Good to know that its not an issue but there are species of cockroach with those defenses.

Thank you guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...