Pesticide removal

I have finally (sigh) captured a roll of window screen!

Bad news: it was contaminated with plant-derived "eco-friendly" insecticide (the "ecofriendly" ones are arguably worse than the others)!

After several rounds of frantic soaping, the nauseating smell of aromatic plant oils is still there. Any ideas, roachworld?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely it contains permethrin. 
That stuff is quite persistent. I would put it in a washing machine with sodium carbonate instead of detergent and wash it a high temperature. Perhaps that will do, as permethrin hydrolyses under alkaline conditions. 
Another option is the combination of water and light... but that might take time. 

Even then, I would be reluctant to use it. Considering the fact that permethrin treated clothing can outlast many washing cycles....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always peel fruits before I give them to the roaches... Or when possible use those from my own garden. 

@Xenoblatta: these roaches died after eating contaminated fruits?

• Like 1

I’m not sure if it may or may not destroy the screen, but as my saying goes, “just burn it”. Supposedly many plant oils can be burned to be removed, for instance, many nuts containing oils (especially peanuts, and they contain tons of oils) are flammable for this reason, so there’s a chance it’d destroy the chemical/decay it to a harmless state.

• 3 weeks later...