A new type of housing!

image0.png

Now, this is for zebra isopods (Armadillidium maculatum), but it would also work for small, non-climbing roaches. Or for climbing species if you had a snug lid and covered the holes with mesh. It has a lid (just a cut-out piece of stiff packaging plastic), but I took that off for the pic. 1-gallon plastic bowl, holes poked with a soldering iron. 

There are lots of good uses for goldfish bowls! But none of them are for housing any kind of fish, albeit maybe for an hour or two as temporary holding/display. That's how the myth about goldfish being kept in bowls came about- the people who 'invented' them, bred them into goldfish, would keep them in ponds. When they had guests, they would put a couple of goldfish in a bowl on a table for display, and the fish would stay in there just for a little while, as display. Visitors from elsewhere thought that goldfish were permanently housed in those bowls, and then at some point pop culture picked it up, and the image of a goldfish in a bowl became commonplace. Unfortunately for goldfish. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I keep my non-climbing pie-dish beetles in a 2 gallon fish bowl and my E. arcanum in a slightly smaller bowl, both with no lids. They make great tabletop displays. i love being able to see them from all angles. I hadn't thought of putting isopods in one. I'll have to keep my eye open for more bowls!

• Like 1