Simandoa Conserfariam enclosure

I got 12 Simandoa a month ago and so far 3 juveniles and 1 adult have died off in under a month. It's not a sudden die-off, but it's enough roaches to concern me. They are on a soil substrate with a moist and dry side of the box, the lid is well ventilated with a screen mesh underneath. The average day temperature is around 85 and 75 at night. I heard this species needs good ventilation, so do I need more holes? Thanks for any info. These deaths could be coincidences but I'd hate to watch my colony slowly die off. 

232053562_547578653224178_3976255740966241031_n.jpg

Why the dry area? As far as I know this species likes things pretty humid, I think that humidity gradient is probably unnecessary. As for the rest, the setup looks good to me, I don't know why they'd be dying, other than potentially drying out.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:09 PM, Hisserdude said:

Why the dry area? As far as I know this species likes things pretty humid, I think that humidity gradient is probably unnecessary. As for the rest, the setup looks good to me, I don't know why they'd be dying, other than potentially drying out.

Thanks Hisserdude. I've starting misting the whole enclosure but I came across another dead juvenile today, and an aborted ooth. I'm going to try adding some more holes for ventilation, besides that I can't imagine what's causing this. 

• Sad 1

On 8/15/2021 at 2:38 PM, BonnieClyde said:

Thanks Hisserdude. I've starting misting the whole enclosure but I came across another dead juvenile today, and an aborted ooth. I'm going to try adding some more holes for ventilation, besides that I can't imagine what's causing this. 

That's really odd, your conditions sound good to me so I don't know why they would be doing so poorly. :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 2:04 PM, Hisserdude said:

I don't think so, if anything 85F should be pretty optimal for faster growth and breeding. 

I think the issue was ventilation, I switched them to a taller critter keeper with a lot more holes in the top and haven't seen any die since. It's a shame I lost ~7 of my 12 at that point but they seem to be thriving now. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BonnieClyde said:

I think the issue was ventilation, I switched them to a taller critter keeper with a lot more holes in the top and haven't seen any die since. It's a shame I lost ~7 of my 12 at that point but they seem to be thriving now. 

Huh, good to know, guess they need good airflow! Hope your remaining individuals do well for you and breed, fingers crossed!