Dubia breeding problem

I have finally had my first dubia mature a few months ago. One male and two females. One female has been matured since march. How ever o have yet to get any young. They are being heated and fed citrus from time to time. Is this normal? How long will the mature adults live?

• Like 1

Adults can live for quite a while. Kind of surprising you don't have any nymphs, but mine were really slow to start too. What temp are they kept at and what's their regular diet like?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine took me a year to have thousands now I have so many I dunno what to do with them

I started off with less than 40 mature females/males mine breed within a few weeks of getting them

I keep them dry as well with no substrate I use cardboard box for the bottom and egg flats + paper rolls for the top

feed them carrots, oranges, bananas, cactus, potatoes (rarely) tomatoes (rarely) and oats (used to feed them cat food but since I'm not gonna breed superworms anymore I'm getting rid of all the oats I have)

guess it's just a matter of time before magic happens? I don't know why but my hissers/dubia have bred like crazy although we don't have a heater in winter they still manage to survive the cold weather but they eat less than when it's hot

• Like 1

I've read that dubias breed quicker in larger colonies, something about being all cramped in together. Mine seemed to take forever to take off, but now that I have several hundred it's non-stop babies. Maybe try introducing some extra adults? Also, if you're using a large bin, maybe try a smaller size, like the size of a large shoebox. Once I moved mine to tighter quarters, I noticed a lot more activity. 

Yeah the more you have the more you get babies, I started with about 50 half of them were adults, others were medium sized ones then waited 1 year now I have thousands even though I lost around 250 nymphs yesterday in an accident I still got thousands in my main colony just do the math while I was cleaning the enclosure each egg flat had like 250 roaches of all sizes the container has 18 egg flats not counting the cardboard box that's a lot of roaches!

• Like 1