dang.. Lobster cockroach colony getting huge-also, wingless lobster??

Posted by Mary Beth on 11/24/2002, 6:02 pm

I just found this site, I've purchased two species of roaches a long time ago from the roachman (just two of both species, I didn't want to breed them). anyway, from another source I purchased a single lobster roach, discoid, and another hisser (mine was 3 1/2 years OLD at the time...).. the lobster roach was female.. and I wound up with an entire colony.. now it's getting large and I really do like them

anyway, curious: is it possible for a lobster roach to reach the adult stage and remain WINGLESS?? I know I've heard of madagascar hissers with wings, but it's extremely rare. The reason I"m asking is, I have one that appears to be in it's final stage, and I've seperated it from the rest.. it's "littermates" have been adults for months now, and this one is still wingless.. the same SIZE as the others, but completely wingless.. it's brown all over, with a darker brownish blackish color on the edges.. I kept thinking it was just a nymph in the final stage, but it's been like this for months now.. doing find and well, as well.

TheDragonTamer@aol.com

Posted by Megaloblatta on 11/27/2002, 12:28 am , in reply to "dang.. Lobster cockroach colony getting huge-also, wingless lobster??"

Hello Mary Beth,

It is possible. Mutations that result in apterous adults will leave clubs, wing stubs, misformed wingpads or something noticeable where the wings should be. If it looks identical to a nymph, then it is.

There aren't photographs of 'winged' hissers most likely for the same reason there aren't photographs of unicorns.

Glad you're enjoying your lobster culture!

Megaloblatta@angelfire.com

Posted by Scythemantis on 11/27/2002, 12:48 am , in reply to "Re: dang.. Lobster cockroach colony getting huge-also, wingless lobster??"

At the last minute, just when we had been talking about the "wingless" one, we looked at him and he had just molted (still pure white). I guess just a late bloomer. (MB lives with me so theres no confusion)

So are winged hissers a myth? The guy I got my first ones from (my first pet roaches but definately not my first pet insects) said many of his had wings... he was breeding them exclusively for feeders. I didn't see any with wings in his tank though..