Hisserdude's Springtails

Hisserdude

Well I've been branching out more into springtails, so here's some of the more interesting species in my current collection. :)

First we have my Cotton springtails, Entomobrya unostrigata. Collected these myself here in Idaho, and they do fantastic in dryer, well ventilated setups. I've spread them around a lot in the hobby this year, hoping they'll catch on as one of the more popularly cultured species, their fast breeding rates and medium size give them good feeder potential.

Entomobrya%25231.JPG

Then we have my Giant Silver Springtails, Tomocerus minor. I also collected these here in Idaho, they prefer cooler, humid conditions, but also like good airflow. They are slower breeding than a lot of other springs, but get HUGE, 4-5 mms body length.

GiantSilverSpringtail%25234.JPG

GiantSilverSpringtail%25232.JPG

Now onto some of my more recent additions, we've got these cf. Willowsia sp. "Kota Kinabalu", Malaysian Silver Springtails. These are medium sized and breed well in humid setups, they like decent airflow as well but might breed in more stagnant setups as well. As far as I'm aware I'm the first to culture these in the US.

AVvXsEi9h60SOzjPkSiHHzuXwNLGeetJa92Q1m-J

AVvXsEg5kNInGx4VhKOS13zfmasnZ80k3CTzfvxh

AVvXsEiNQy-w8B4x0GHkAXavSUODkOqZXOWMdmyD

Now for another giant, Pogonognathellus dubius, Giant Silver Bullet Springtails. These seem to average a mm longer than my Tomocerus minor, and are also a decent bit bulkier. They do well in humid but well ventilated setups 

AVvXsEhJ70gFmrGkJ4FgdLKdKKWdQQ1lAhoMTrqH

AVvXsEirI0S5iILbSLpYx6zeWc98gSpHkvylAlX0

AVvXsEiIfp6Qjo2dZxIQLjEtHB1F1-OBLn5TrlGY

AVvXsEgTPJseofXTfccfYDcO-VFj2RM2-8_4ZJmE

And lastly, I've got these amazing Giant Belted Springtails, Orchesella cincta. They do well in damp and well ventilated setups (the latter being a common requirement for a lot of the larger springtail species). These average around 4-5 mms as adults, pretty hefty for a springtail, and beautiful to boot!

AVvXsEhASHCqB0ZhlZFgdLtv3YAt3lK8b5fuHYG6

AVvXsEjqW_Kq4c58ZWmw-fIHTlAU2LYIZizT2TB-

AVvXsEgvtv5VTqoT28bZ0xRuKCfCK-mcwxNh8gE7

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Thank you, hisserdude, for sharing your new found friends.

I don't know much about springtails yet.  I'm getting ready to venture into isopods and then perhaps start springtails.  By the way do happen to have a spare wall stretcher, I need more room?  🙂

By well ventilated do you mean cross ventilation and how many holes?  I'm using shoe box size containers for the isopods when I get them.  The first shipment became lost and there is an ongoing investigation in progress.  😞 

What else do I need to know, thanks in advance I appreciate all the help I can get.

On 8/27/2022 at 2:26 PM, dogpack said:

🙂 By well ventilated do you mean cross ventilation and how many holes?

Yeah, cross ventilation, I don't have an exact number but I poked dozens of pinholes into my springtail deli cups. 😄

I wish you were UK based mate as I'd love to try some/all of those as they're brilliant and it's great somebody took it upon themselves to get them into the hobby as there's very little variety in the springtails currently available and as you said some of the larger types would be fantastic feeders for various things so let's hope more people pick up the torch and if there's ever a way to get some over here I'm definetly up for it 

SB 

• Like 1

Thank you for your help HD.

I have some orange springtails and am not sure about their care yet.  Advice is welcome.  I got isopods also and am only now finding out that what I researched didn't exactly tell the entire story about their care, advice also is welcome.