Can Madagascar hissing cockroaches and Halloween hissing cockroaches be housed together?

I have two (about to be five) Madagascan hissing cockroaches (all female) and I'm thinking of getting Halloween hissing cockroaches (all female, I'd probably get like two or three) but I'm not sure if I'd have to buy another enclosure for them or if I would just be able to house them together with my Madagascan hissers. I am not looking to breed them, just looking for some cute company.

Can they be housed together? Is two to three Halloween hissing cockroaches a good number to have? If I did keep them all together how big should the enclosure be?

2 hours ago, abralettuce said:

I have two (about to be five) Madagascan hissing cockroaches (all female) and I'm thinking of getting Halloween hissing cockroaches (all female, I'd probably get like two or three) but I'm not sure if I'd have to buy another enclosure for them or if I would just be able to house them together with my Madagascan hissers. I am not looking to breed them, just looking for some cute company.

Can they be housed together? Is two to three Halloween hissing cockroaches a good number to have? If I did keep them all together how big should the enclosure be?

They can be housed together, yes. If any of them are adults already when you get them they could be pregnant already though. You might end up with babies anyway! Then you'd have to figure out if you want to separate them, hybridize them, or cull the offspring.

Are the "Madagascan hissers" G. portentosa? I believe all hissers come from Madagascar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

16 hours ago, Bhjjr said:

They can be housed together, yes. If any of them are adults already when you get them they could be pregnant already though. You might end up with babies anyway! Then you'd have to figure out if you want to separate them, hybridize them, or cull the offspring.

Are the "Madagascan hissers" G. portentosa? I believe all hissers come from Madagascar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes sorry I should've been more specific, they are G. portentosa cockroaches. Will they hybridize if I leave them together and one turns out to be male?

4 hours ago, abralettuce said:

Yes sorry I should've been more specific, they are G. portentosa cockroaches. Will they hybridize if I leave them together and one turns out to be male?

I don't know. Maybe someone else can chime in?

It's quite possible Gromphadorhina and Elliptorhina could hybridize under the right conditions (mainly just a matter of getting two adults from both species that are evenly sized), so I'd never recommend housing them together.

• Like 1