Plectoptera picta

7 hours ago, BrettGrell said:

Does anyone have any information on finding Plectoptera picta?

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/311159-Plectoptera-picta

They seem to be very elusive. Any help or thoughts appreciated!

This is a species I've been dying to get in culture... I have the closely related P.poeyi in my collection ATM.

Unfortunately picta seem to be very hard to find, their distribution is wide but very spotty. Best chance of finding them would be beating foliage in suitable habitat, and maybe utilizing light traps.

9 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

This is a species I've been dying to get in culture... I have the closely related P.poeyi in my collection ATM.

Unfortunately picta seem to be very hard to find, their distribution is wide but very spotty. Best chance of finding them would be beating foliage in suitable habitat, and maybe utilizing light traps.

I had NO CLUE you had P. poeyi in culture!! That is amazing. Do reach out when you have extra to spare... ;D

I think I will make a trip to Raleigh for a few days this August, where there is one confirmed sighting of P.picta, and see what I can find. It looks like August is the month to find them, but I'm not sure if that means anything given how few sightings they have lol.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, BrettGrell said:

I had NO CLUE you had P. poeyi in culture!! That is amazing. Do reach out when you have extra to spare... ;D

I think I will make a trip to Raleigh for a few days this August, where there is one confirmed sighting of P.picta, and see what I can find. It looks like August is the month to find them, but I'm not sure if that means anything given how few sightings they have lol.

Yeah, they're doing well so far, and I hope to have some available by the Fall. :)

Good luck, I hope you can find some! I will say, Plectoptera are some of the most challenging Ectobiids to keep, they absolutely hate large amounts of springtails or mites, can be a bit picky about humidity and also need high airflow... Plus their nymphs are SUPER tiny, and all life stages climb well (and adults can fly). Really the perfect pet roaches for people who hate themselves... 😂 That being said, I love P.poeyi and really want to establish picta in culture lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know if there are any in Arkansas, but if anyone is near Caddo Gap, you're welcome to look through my 10 acres.  When you find them, please get some for me, thanks.