Resin and roaches

Kaiko

Hi everyone!

I recently bought my first 3D resin printer and I really want to create some hides and decorations for my critters: some roaches, true spiders, leopard geckos and tarantulas.

The question is, is it safe to use resin decorations? I’ve read once that if exposed to heat (as a heat mat) it could be bad but if there’s no heat mat, would it still be bad? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kaiko said:

Hi everyone!

I recently bought my first 3D resin printer and I really want to create some hides and decorations for my critters: some roaches, true spiders, leopard geckos and tarantulas.

The question is, is it safe to use resin decorations? I’ve read once that if exposed to heat (as a heat mat) it could be bad but if there’s no heat mat, would it still be bad? 

I don't think it would be bad. I'm intrigued this sounds awesome 

• 5 months later...

The general rule of thumb with resin is that food safe / food grade resin is best for animal applications. It’s made to withstand higher temperatures, it dries harder, and it does not release harmful chemicals if damaged. However, I do not see this type of resin in a printable version. I’m not saying regular resins are harmful, but if you’re looking to play it extra safe due to heat, I’d suggest checking the heat rating for the resin you’re using. If it’s not detailed on the package, you can request the MSDS from the manufacturer (it’s free), which would include heat and breakdown info.

Best of luck!