Micromesh and spider beetles

birdonfire

A couple questions here:

1) Any idea where I can find micro-mesh/micro-screen locally (NC) or buy small quantities online? 

2) The best way to keep Mezium spp. How? I have them in a container that needs more ventilation (hence the previous question) and the food molds rapidly. There's only a few at the moment but hoping the colony will expand. Would use regular screen but I think they could get through? They are currently on very dry peat moss and egg crate. Poking small holes in the container has resulted in busted plastic. 

Thank you for your help. 

23 hours ago, birdonfire said:

A couple questions here:

1) Any idea where I can find micro-mesh/micro-screen locally (NC) or buy small quantities online? 

2) The best way to keep Mezium spp. How? I have them in a container that needs more ventilation (hence the previous question) and the food molds rapidly. There's only a few at the moment but hoping the colony will expand. Would use regular screen but I think they could get through? They are currently on very dry peat moss and egg crate. Poking small holes in the container has resulted in busted plastic. 

Thank you for your help. 

I'm not sure about sources local to NC, but micro mesh/screening can usually be found on eBay pretty easily. 🙂

I keep my large colony in a 128 oz. "Up & Up" food storage container from Target. Started with 64 oz. size and upgraded from there. I just poke some large pinholes in the lid for ventilation (since they lack true climbing abilities and can't make their way onto the lid). There's no need for the use of conventional substrates like peat moss, coconut fiber, etc. with these guys as their "substrate" should just be a layer of their food (I personally use a mix of oats and crushed dog food for mine). 

Here are a couple pics of my enclosure in case they might be of any use:

DSC_0821+%25282%2529.JPG

DSC_0820+%25282%2529.JPG

• Thanks 1