Hello from Florida

Mike Oxlong

Hello, I am from the roach heaven known as Florida. I am here to know more about what kind of roaches there are so I can identify them. Despite people saying “99% of roaches cannot survive in our climate”, that is not the case for me. I have seen many different kinds of roaches here, and they aren’t just the “pest kind”. Because most of the roaches people keep as pets like warm humid weather, I am concerned about finding exotic roaches that got smuggled here in my home someday. I am especially terrified of hearing hissing in the middle of the night and I get up and go to the kitchen and see 3 inch roaches in my sink. I know that non-native roaches are illegal here, but enforcing it is easier said than done, as people order them all the time with ease. I am here in case I see a weird roach so I can identify it and get it handled before I have to deal with hundreds of them. I already have a german roach infestation and I am afraid of different kinds getting in my home

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Hello, I am from the roach heaven known as Florida. I am here to know more about what kind of roaches there are so I can identify them. Despite people saying “99% of roaches cannot survive in our climate”, that is not the case for me. I have seen many different kinds of roaches here, and they aren’t just the “pest kind”. Because most of the roaches people keep as pets like warm humid weather, I am concerned about finding exotic roaches that got smuggled here in my home someday. I am especially terrified of hearing hissing in the middle of the night and I get up and go to the kitchen and see 3 inch roaches in my sink. I know that non-native roaches are illegal here, but enforcing it is easier said than done, as people order them all the time with ease. I am here in case I see a weird roach so I can identify it and get it handled before I have to deal with hundreds of them. I already have a german roach infestation and I am afraid of different kinds getting in my home

There are lots of roaches established in FL, both invasive AND native... But most of the invasives are house or greenhouse pests that are cosmopolitan, none of the common pet species are invasive there and likely won't ever be for various reasons. So not much to worry about there. Curious to see what "non-pest" roaches you've seen, perhaps some Eurycotis floridana?