Identification Enthusiasts

GreenThumbGert

Anyone enjoy assisting with identification? I say this is a cockroach, my husband says "no way". He's used to the ones in the US. It was on the hood of my car and then flew (which is why he says there is no way it's a cockroach.... Google says otherwise, some can fly?) Would love to research further if this is a cockroach and someone knows the Family or even Genus? We live in Kenya if that helps at all. Having all sorts of fun trying to identify the insects here. This insect was very beautiful coloring, almost black with a reddish brown, hard to catch in a photo at night. I did flip it over so I could measure it without it running (1.5 inches long), it wasn't harmed but did stick its little behind up in the air when I flipped it back over. Didn't get close enough to explore the scent, thank you, no. It went off on its merry way, even though hubby thinks all "roaches must die", I know some are kept as pets and that's how I found this forum. Thanks for anyone willing to help identify! 

Screenshot_20221119-222432-847.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GreenThumbGert said:

Anyone enjoy assisting with identification? I say this is a cockroach, my husband says "no way". He's used to the ones in the US. It was on the hood of my car and then flew (which is why he says there is no way it's a cockroach.... Google says some can fly?) Would love to research further if this is a cockroach and someone knows the Family or even Genus? We live in Kenya if that helps at all. Having all sorts of fun trying to identify the insects here. This insect was very beautiful coloring, almost black with a reddish brown, hard to catch in a photo at night. I did flip it over so I could measure it without it running (1.5 inches long), it wasn't harmed but did stick its little behind up in the air when I flipped it back over. Didn't get close enough to explore the scent, thank you, no. It went off on its merry way, even though hubby thinks all "roaches must die", I know some are kept as pets and that's how I found this forum. Thanks for anyone willing to help identify! 

Screenshot_20221119-222432-847.png

Deropeltis sp. male, not gonna be easy to ID to species without specimen examination by a taxonomist. Definitely not a pest species, they tend to stay outside. :)