N. rhombifolia bites the dust

Last night I finally gave up on my colony of Harlequins...

I've had no growth in months, and mortalities have occurred despite my adding a substrate, and since info on this species is scarcer than ham at a barmitzva, I now give up! :angry:

Here's something interesting: In cleaning out the Rubbermaid and dumping the substrate, I got to wondering about the small colony of R. pallida, which has somehow found its way into the container. Perhaps these had contributed somehow to the demise of the Harlequins?? I have no evidence at all to support this theory, but it is possible that they are involved, either by dominating the food source or by eating the young. :huh:

Anyway, the R. pallida are present in several of my colonies, and I have just picked them all out of my R. maderae goldi colony, just in case... :P

Last night I finally gave up on my colony of Harlequins...

I've had no growth in months, and mortalities have occurred despite my adding a substrate, and since info on this species is scarcer than ham at a barmitzva, I now give up! :angry:

Here's something interesting: In cleaning out the Rubbermaid and dumping the substrate, I got to wondering about the small colony of R. pallida, which has somehow found its way into the container. Perhaps these had contributed somehow to the demise of the Harlequins?? I have no evidence at all to support this theory, but it is possible that they are involved, either by dominating the food source or by eating the young. :huh:

Anyway, the R. pallida are present in several of my colonies, and I have just picked them all out of my R. maderae goldi colony, just in case... :P

Do you give a constant supply of water? I've had a roach colony (E. Posticus) which was going downhill until I gave them a supply of water. Since then they do all right.

Those pallid roaches can be a pain in the @$$ sometimes. They're really neat looking but the little ones are really really small. I always prevent that they build up in numbers in my other colonies. Now I've got them in a plastic jar which is 100% escape proof.

Hi Maarten

Yep, regular source of moisture viz water crystals, and also the carrots added weekly, but I was obviously missing something...

Ha! Those Pallida are indeed a pain in the &^*%! lol. Babies are perfect for even the smallest tarantula, however, so they are definitely worth keeping, but I reckon I will have to clean the R. pallida species out of my other nine-or-so colonies at least bi-annually! Problem with a 100% secure environment is that there will be zero airflow and mould can become a problem, because as you have noted, the tiny ones get out of the smallest holes...! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...