Heat mat with plastic?

Meer

I've read lots contradictory information about this, so I thought I'd ask the real roach enthusiasts for their personal experience.

Can you use a heat mat (under tank heater type for reptiles) with a plastic bin, or will it melt the plastic? Or, if you put some space between the mat and the bin to keep it from melting, would it still provide enough heat? (even in a cold room?)

If a heat mad isn't feasible, is there some other way to heat a plastic enclosure that would be relatively simple and inexpensive?

I used a large heat mat with my hissers for a while; it was supposed to be adhesive but I left the "tape" on the bottom and used it; the plastic did not melt. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it may have been about 1/4 away from the plastic. Not sure.

I think it really depends on how hot the heat mat is. The plastic probably wouldn't melt (This is mostly a guess here). If you are worried, you could try a heat lamp, which are farther away from the plastic and definately wouldn't melt it. I don't know how expensive heat lamps are, likely $20-30 range. I think the one I have came with something else.

Thanks!

Anyone else have personal experience with heat mats on plastic?

I've considered a heat lamp, but I think they are more expensive than mats, depending on the size. So I'd like to get a heat mat if it would be okay. Plus I think a lamp might be more dessicating than a mat, so I'd need to be more careful about water? I really don't know about that though.

im using heat mats on all 9 of my 50 gallon bins and have no problems, its underneath on half the bin which is the eggcrates side and its a little bit cooler on the other half where i keep the food and water and all the bins stay at a comfortable 85-90 degrees. It could be ideal because of the size of the bins and im not quite sure how hot it gets with smaller bins. So as far as using heat mats, it works great for me. :rolleyes:

I'd have to agree with the above statements, I use mostly plastic bins and "critter keepers" and haven't had a problem yet. I did have a bad experience with some heating "rope" I got from a friend on some scorps though. I think the mats I have are the "cobra mats", a human heating pad, and an old zoo-med one, if that means anything if there is wattage variation.