id roach nymph

Posted by susan voss on 4/27/2004, 7:41 pm

I have some occasional roach babies in my house and I think they are smokey browns, but I called the extension people and they don't know. I have a PhD in entomology but I have no keys whereby I can ID these guys. They have two (or maybe three?) white stripes across the dorsum and they are attracted to water, not food. In case anybody cares, I always take them outside rather than killing them; they are not competing for anything I want (e.g. the water in the bottom of the shower or the dishwasher.)

svoss@vosslaw.com

Posted by Chris Montross on 4/27/2004, 7:55 pm, in reply to "id roach nymph"

I live in Alabama and have the same situation in the shower area. Here they are Southern Browns(P.brunneum)sp? I never find smokey browns in the house, but at work in the reptile house I do.

dhclumber@knology.net

Posted by susan voss on 4/27/2004, 8:40 pm, in reply to "Re: id roach nymph"

Dear Chris,

Do the immatures have white stripes (quite narrow) across the dorsum? Also, I watched the babies emerging fom an oothecum one day and there were not that many, maybe 20-25. (The oothecum was attached to the junction between the wall and the ceiling, about 6 inches from the shower door.)

Thanks, Susan

Posted by Susan Voss on 4/28/2004, 8:21 pm, in reply to "Re: id roach nymph"

Poor little guys. Maybe I should leave some kibble and apple slices on the toilet. (This is what I do when my cat brings in live chipmunks and they hide out under the hutch or behind the china cabinet.) So what's the genus of my little visitors?