freshly molted discoid

Nice white 'ghost'. Fascinating when all is white except for a few parts.

Did you also want some suggestions for improving a picture like this? :blink:

BR/

Ole

Hi James,

Since no rules and yet a lot of thumbrules really applies to photography, these can only be suggestions. In the end each person has their own taste and methods.

Since the foreground is special by being white the little not moulting cousin by the end disturbs a bit. If at all possible it could have been gently 'pursuaded' to take a walk. (You could tell us about how you arranged the white foreground because the effect is quite efficient.)

It looks like the focus point is at the hind leg. In most cases you would focus as exactly as possible on the eye - for some reason that appeals to humans since we are quite eye focused - unless the portraying was of a birth or some other specific reason.

When the portrait is the whole animal you may want to get as much focus depth as possible. If you use a smaller aperture, ie. a higher number like 14-18 you will increase the depth where all is sharp. However, it will demand more of your flash. If the flash is not providing enough light, you can add a 'slave' flash that fires when triggered by another flash (the one on the camera). If the 'slave' is placed pointing against the roach from the side, some of the shadows might disappear and soften the tones. Other systems has connected flashes that fires simultaneously so they can be placed from different sides and angles freely.

The systems have become very smart and there are equipment that can ruin us. Other forums are specialized to judge one's pictures, but I do not care for the tone. The critics are very hard. The use of photoshop is extensive and sometimes you get the feeling that the picture becomes obsolete when you cannot trust what you see.

In our forum it is all about sharing - and thanks for that! ;)

Hope this can inspire you a little.

Best weekend wishes from

Ole

Ole,

Thank you for the great advice. I hope to get some more great photos soon to share. On this picture I was in a bit of a hurry and did nothing for preparation. I was real excited to see one that freshly molted and was happy I was able to get the shot I got. It will be real fun trying to get awesome photos like I have seen from many of you on this board.

Thanks,

James M.

Hi James,

It makes your comments better understood.

It was like a quick shot and you got lucky! :o

Are you using white cloth in your terrarium/tank decorations?

BR/

Ole

Hi James,

It makes your comments better understood.

It was like a quick shot and you got lucky! :o

Are you using white cloth in your terrarium/tank decorations?

BR/

Ole

Hi Ole<

No I do not have any white cloth in the tub with them. It is a simple set up with food and water dishes, with egg flats vertically and card board separating them.

James