Odd Deaths

Posted by Greg Whitley on 5/31/2004, 8:54 am

mailto:xovoodooxo@yahoo.com

Yeah, Hi...I am not what you would call an enthusiast..Infact I was raised to kill anything that even resembles a cockroach..(sorry)...Anyway, I had a roach community, no city living in my house at one point and I called pest control they showed up and took a few samples of my roaches...Then they left..A few weeks later they came and sprayed and all that good stuff and for a month or so I didn't see a roach but now they come and spray monthly but I still get a roach everyonce in a while...But I found something very strange this morning...I woke up and went to go shower I flipped on the light switch and to my surprise there were six roaches but they didn't scatter they were all sluggish and barely moving the one that was moving the most was walking in circles and stuff...Well they weren't moving fast so I decided to capture them and take them outside as far from my house as possible and deposit them on a tree..But upon closer examination I found that not one of them had a head...But just the bodies were dying...I don't have a cat or a dog or anything...Could there be something in my bathroom killing these poor guys....This isn't the first time I have found these poor guys decapitated...It's getting kinda ridiculous...I cleaned out the bathroom and looked I planted bug bombs and everything but still about once a week I'll find several beheaded roaches ambling around...Can anyone tell me something about this?

Posted by MantidsAssassins on 5/31/2004, 9:26 am, in reply to "Odd Deaths"

mailto:mantidsassassins(remove)@yahoo.com

That's not an uncommon phenomenon in culture either. Certain species seem to have their heads disappear around the time they die. Maybe their head isn't held on tight and falls off when they're dying or maybe the other roaches take it when they die and put it in a shrine somewhere (first one is more likely, many inverts loose body parts like feet as they get older, even long before they die).