Tiger hissers arrived today!!

Ok, I'm totally zoning out on these all night long. They're absolutely awesome, I'll have to take them to class sometime after they get acclimated to their new environment. Here's some pictures, I'm going to run back to watching them!

(Sorry about the quality on some, I was taking some through the glass and it blurred and reflected)

These are all thumbnails, click for bigger.

Arrival, expertly packed!

th_P2180039.jpg

Chow time

th_P2180042.jpg

th_P2180050.jpg

Gulp gulp

th_P2180056.jpg

Scouting around

th_P2180057.jpg

A shady retreat

th_P2180067.jpg

Congratulation! Very pretty! How many are there?

Apparently the lil' guys like it warm, almost the entire colony has taken to basking in the ceramic heat bulb I've attached above the screen on top. Temperatures in my house have been dropping into the low to mid 60's at night and I had been concerned about their sluggish behavior. The 60 watt ceramic heat bulb has been keeping at least the top of their cage in the low 70's. I think this strategy has been successful thus far, as the night I installed the heat bulb I had witnessed mating behavior on top of the bark. Also, they seem to be eating at least a couple dog food bits and a few nibbles of veggies each night. I though it might be best to share this and a couple of pictures of the huddled mass, just in case anyone has any input. Thanks!

th_P2230055.jpg

th_P2230054.jpg

• 2 months later...
Apparently the lil' guys like it warm, almost the entire colony has taken to basking in the ceramic heat bulb I've attached above the screen on top. Temperatures in my house have been dropping into the low to mid 60's at night and I had been concerned about their sluggish behavior. The 60 watt ceramic heat bulb has been keeping at least the top of their cage in the low 70's. I think this strategy has been successful thus far, as the night I installed the heat bulb I had witnessed mating behavior on top of the bark. Also, they seem to be eating at least a couple dog food bits and a few nibbles of veggies each night. I though it might be best to share this and a couple of pictures of the huddled mass, just in case anyone has any input. Thanks!

th_P2230055.jpg

th_P2230054.jpg

i was planning to put a few hissers in a exo-terra enclosure like yours but im wooried about nymphs escaping?are there any gaps in that enclosure that they can squeeze through?

i was planning to put a few hissers in a exo-terra enclosure like yours but im wooried about nymphs escaping?are there any gaps in that enclosure that they can squeeze through?

The top of the cage is the only concern. I have about 10 week-old babies in there with the others and I quickly found I needed to shove little strips of rubber on the inside where the screen lid meets the top. I find it nice to have the door on the front for changing their food every few days, but they also find the cracks where the hinges connect to the top to be nice hiding places. It's an easy adjustment to make, although you may want to check it out for yourself. It's deffinately not the easiest to hisser-proof due to being unable to vaseline around the top like most tanks. Really, I had some second thoughts after the babies came along and tested the cage like the raptors from Jurassic Park. So unless you feel like making adjustments to the thing, it's best to go for something simpler and more secure in design.

The top of the cage is the only concern. I have about 10 week-old babies in there with the others and I quickly found I needed to shove little strips of rubber on the inside where the screen lid meets the top. I find it nice to have the door on the front for changing their food every few days, but they also find the cracks where the hinges connect to the top to be nice hiding places. It's an easy adjustment to make, although you may want to check it out for yourself. It's deffinately not the easiest to hisser-proof due to being unable to vaseline around the top like most tanks. Really, I had some second thoughts after the babies came along and tested the cage like the raptors from Jurassic Park. So unless you feel like making adjustments to the thing, it's best to go for something simpler and more secure in design.

so pretty much if the only adjustment i make is rubber strips around the edge of where the top lid goes i should be ok right?

so pretty much if the only adjustment i make is rubber strips around the edge of where the top lid goes i should be ok right?

Ironically enough, last night after typing my response I went down for my nightly observation and found one of the babies outside on the top of the cage. So this afternoon I re-evaluated my defenses and almost siliconed the thing shut. The concern for toxic fumes ect stopped me though. I ended up laying down rubber strips along the lengths of the top of the cage and then snapping the lid down on top of the strips. So now you can see the rubber filling all the gap along the top. If there's another escapee I'll be siliconing the entire thing shut and they'll have to eat eachother.

Ironically enough, last night after typing my response I went down for my nightly observation and found one of the babies outside on the top of the cage. So this afternoon I re-evaluated my defenses and almost siliconed the thing shut. The concern for toxic fumes ect stopped me though. I ended up laying down rubber strips along the lengths of the top of the cage and then snapping the lid down on top of the strips. So now you can see the rubber filling all the gap along the top. If there's another escapee I'll be siliconing the entire thing shut and they'll have to eat eachother.

thats exactly what i just did. i can see the rubber along the gap.i hope this works.i cant afford escapes.im not getting my roaches till wed or fri and there only medium nymphs so itll be a while till they start breeding.please le me know how things go..thanks