Blatta orientalis?

Found these at the beach in Oceanside, CA. Got a whole bunch of them. Is it Blatta orientalis? Will they survive in my roach room at 80-90F and 60-80% humidity?

2i7lqhs.jpg

n54qqp.jpg

2ekqb0x.jpg

I'd also like to note that they mysteriously seem to be able to climb smooth plastic sometimes; Just a bit of advice. lol

Are they worse than lateralis? It seems the lateralis' version of smooth sides is not the same as mine. The sides are smooth and unclimbable until they WANT to climb out for some reason. I watched a large nymph walk right up the side of my "smooth" bin and didn't even break stride as crossed the 2" vaseline barrier. Whoops! I nearly sh**-canned the whole colony, but instead decided to switch to those super smooth clear, plastic bins. I don't care if darkness makes them feel secure or not. After extensive testing first (The new, clear bins even passed the "LOOK OUT!!! HERE COMES A HUNGRY TEGU!!!" test.) I have decided that they REALLY can't climb the sides of the new bins. They are significantly taller too. Amazing how well (and willing) the little buggers can fly when you are after them. I started with 200 in Jan and I have, no joke, way over ten thousand now. At first I was managing the colony by only feeding out surplus males. For the last three months, I've just been feeding them willy-nilly to anything that will eat them. I'm going to have to start selling them off or freezing some. Anybody in SoCal need some feeders? Surely somebody knows a chameleon, beardie or gecko breeder.

Anyhow, are the orientalis any worse than the lateralis about climbing smooth surfaces and vaseline barriers?

Are they worse than lateralis? It seems the lateralis' version of smooth sides is not the same as mine. The sides are smooth and unclimbable until they WANT to climb out for some reason. I watched a large nymph walk right up the side of my "smooth" bin and didn't even break stride as crossed the 2" vaseline barrier. Whoops! I nearly sh**-canned the whole colony, but instead decided to switch to those super smooth clear, plastic bins. I don't care if darkness makes them feel secure or not. After extensive testing first (The new, clear bins even passed the "LOOK OUT!!! HERE COMES A HUNGRY TEGU!!!" test.) I have decided that they REALLY can't climb the sides of the new bins. They are significantly taller too. Amazing how well (and willing) the little buggers can fly when you are after them. I started with 200 in Jan and I have, no joke, way over ten thousand now. At first I was managing the colony by only feeding out surplus males. For the last three months, I've just been feeding them willy-nilly to anything that will eat them. I'm going to have to start selling them off or freezing some. Anybody in SoCal need some feeders? Surely somebody knows a chameleon, beardie or gecko breeder.

Anyhow, are the orientalis any worse than the lateralis about climbing smooth surfaces and vaseline barriers?

I'd guess so. I had smooth sterilite containers that they could mysteriously climb, but only maybe every 3/10 could do it.

Oh...

So how do you contain them? Right now mine are in a small container (about a half gallon) with a tight fitting press on lid and a couple of holes with microscreen hot glued on. Fine for now, as there are only about forty, but I've already got an eggcase, so I'll soon be swimming in them.

Do they breed as fast as the lateralis?

Oh...

So how do you contain them? Right now mine are in a small container (about a half gallon) with a tight fitting press on lid and a couple of holes with microscreen hot glued on. Fine for now, as there are only about forty, but I've already got an eggcase, so I'll soon be swimming in them.

Do they breed as fast as the lateralis?

My setup so far (I have about 10) is an old spring greens salad container with some large pinhole-sized holes in the top. The strain I got this time around (I got them from a different source the first time) doesn't seem to have any climbing ability.

They breed just as fast as lats.

My setup so far (I have about 10) is an old spring greens salad container with some large pinhole-sized holes in the top. The strain I got this time around (I got them from a different source the first time) doesn't seem to have any climbing ability.

They breed just as fast as lats.

I got a new, very smooth clear bin. I'll test it out for climbability before I set them up in it. As of this morning I've got 4 egg cases. With at least two more pretty clearly on the way.

Thanks for all the help.

• 6 months later...