Tiger Hissers

I just traded a bunch of my B. Dubias for a couple Tiger Hissers and had a question.

I know the mites that live on them are commensals,not parasites but I would like to try and get rid of them anyway.I have heard that the mites die off if you keep the roaches in a dry environment.I have also heard that you can shake them in a baggie with some flour and they will just fall off.Has anyone used these methods or have any advice as to what else I can try?

Any help is much appreciated!

And just for fun heres a picture :D

post-1250-1278133964_thumb.jpg

Beautiful pair! :D

When I dried out my normal hissers to get rid of the mites they just intensified. Ditto for upping the humidity. You'll never get rid of all of them but if keep the overall cage cleaner the population should decrease.

Those are some very nice roaches! If you really want to get rid of the mites, brushing them off by hand wouldn't be so bad since you only have two.

Those are some very nice roaches! If you really want to get rid of the mites, brushing them off by hand wouldn't be so bad since you only have two.

Yeah I think I will just try brushing them off.Plus they aren't bothering me as much as they did at first.

Thanks for the reply!

• 5 weeks later...
Yeah I think I will just try brushing them off.Plus they aren't bothering me as much as they did at first.

Thanks for the reply!

i actually did the flour thing.the roaches were pretty (h)issed off at first,and i was worried about them for the next two days after i did it,but it worked.no mites.its been 3 weeks and not one sight of mites.didnt lose one roach and there clean.dont know if you want to go through the aggravation and messiness but im kinda happy they have no mites.makes me feel like a better roach keeper.lol if that makes any sense.