Tiger hissers

I recently purchased a new camera and decided that I should take some pictures of my hissing cockroaches. I found the one male sitting at the cage front looking as if he were inside on a rainy day. Enjoy!

P7040002.jpg

P7040006.jpg

P7040013.jpg

P7040015.jpg

P7050016.jpg

P7050025.jpg

P7040008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a 2-week trip, sorry for the late reply. I started with 18 or so sub-adults and they produced around 12 offspring. I returned from my trip last night to find around 50 more babies in there! I'll grab some pictures in the daylight hours.

Just got back from a 2-week trip, sorry for the late reply. I started with 18 or so sub-adults and they produced around 12 offspring. I returned from my trip last night to find around 50 more babies in there! I'll grab some pictures in the daylight hours.

i see you have them in an exoterra enclosure.wont the babies escape through the spaces on the edges of the glass?i had mine initially in an exoterra but was worried when they have babies i would have escapees.and how long have you had them before they started breeding?ive had my subadults for three months and only saw courtship once,recently with no outcome.

I ended up using black silicone to seal the entire screen lid to the top of the cage. The only other areas of escape were around the top of the front doors, but since the lid was sealed these had to be lined with rubber. They are amazing at squeezing into the smallest of areas, but I do now feel more confident that I have solved this issue. The best test I have that compares to their thickness in size is using a rubber band to see where it could slip into. I only open the cage doors during the daytime to be able to see if any try to escape from nearby areas. After some time they learn not to hang out in areas where I frequently mess with things, like the doors and food/water dishes. Breeding had to have happened at least sometime soon after I had gotten them in April and I had witnessed the mother changing her eggs around probably a month or so ago. I'd predict that soon after yours are adults you'll be witnessing an increase in mating behavior.

Babies:

P7220616.jpg

P7220615.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had another batch of babies born, appx 20 visible, but there could very likely be more. The female is one that I've noted as being pregnant since at least April. The babies from the last batch had taken up residence under the food dish for the past week or so and there are still a few hanging around on the undersides of the leaves. As for the food vs. shelter paradigm, it still seems to be the case that at least a few out of each batch will starve. As to whether it's because of wanting to be safe or just genetic anomalies is of course not able to be explored by myself. The rest of the brood is able to find food, I witnessed a few feeding on a spinach leaf last night. I have a picture of the mother and babies and of the leaf group.

P8030617.jpg

P8030623.jpg

Some unknown inhabitants that prefer moist areas. Anyone able to identify from the picture?

P8030624.jpg