Getting back into roaches need more efficient enclosures.

froggy

Ok so I'm getting back into keeping these guys after a long hiatus with only Eublaberus as feeders in my collection. I would like to hear what everyone uses for their large medium and small sized roaches as im getting all three :). For larger ones i am planning on using my staple fish tanks because i still have many in large sizes (50 gallons and up) but for medium sized roaches (by medium sized i mean colony size and roach size) i was thinking of getting some plastic containers. My problem is all the online ones don't have good enough pictures so that i can see if they are airtight or not. For most species this isn't a problem but i would like to have a matching setup with all one size of bins just to take the hassle out of stacking different sized ones.

My ideal bin would be 10 to 20 gallons and airtight so i can drill holes and add 1/16th inch screen or 200 micron micro screen (thanks to Matt K who suggested it). But so far in my search all i can find is odd shapes and sizes none of them to my liking. The best option Ive found is 5 gallon food grade buckets. I have tried to use these in the past but i only had the home depot ones and while struggling to remove the lid i disturbed the colonies inside so much they were already flying out by the time i got the top off (Panchlora nivea). I was wondering if anyone found a good way around this? Or if anyone has had better success with other types of buckets mainly the food grade lids since they are apparently easier to get off.

So far the food grade buckets seem to be the best choice since they are only $2.30 each with lids. Only problem is i haft to buy 100 haha and that's a lot of bugs. These also seem to be less efficient space wise since they are round. It was also hard for me to add vents because of the lack of edges to measure from to center them properly.

If anyone has any thoughts or pros and cons please feel free to post no matter how small since everything is helpful to me and many people starting out.

Any brand names or serial numbers would be great to.

Pics are more than welcome to help explain any points as well since hey who doesn't like pics right?

Thanks froggy

I've found 16 quart sterilite bins to be the ultimate "middle-ground" colony/roach size container. For my larger colonies/huge species I use 20 gallon rubbermaid bins. For smaller species in small quantities (and pest species) I use "6 x 7" inch hexagonal containers; for smaller-medium species in large/small quantities (respectively) I use superior enterprise 8.5" diameter approximately 8 inch tall plastic containers.

I use 18 gallon plastic bins with aluminum window screen hot glued in for all of mine. I used to use the dark colored plastic bins, as I thought they would like it darker, but now I've switched to the clear bins instead. The problem is that SOME of the colored ones have a little "texture" to the inside walls and some of the non-climbers could climb them a little. The clear ones are all very smooth.

My bins all have regular snap on lids and the only issue I've ever had was with Blatta lateralis (know escape artists) and one of the aforementioned "textured" bins. They are now in the clear bins and I haven't had any "escapes" for months.

I have photos of 3 sizes of enclosures I use on this site somehwere if you search my posts. All containers were purchased at Target (or Target online), the Container Store, and a few from a local pet store though those aren't in use so much now.

Search link is here and info is around the middle of the first page:

Enclosure examples (link)

If you've got one, go to Food Lion (other grocery stores might do the same). They have icing buckets they'll give you for free! Wash them out and they'll smell like sugary icing for months :)

I have photos of 3 sizes of enclosures I use on this site somehwere if you search my posts. All containers were purchased at Target (or Target online), the Container Store, and a few from a local pet store though those aren't in use so much now.

Search link is here and info is around the middle of the first page:

Enclosure examples (link)