Hisser birthing problems

vfox

I noticed that one of my other Hisser females was giving birth last night and two or three nymphs were already running around. I came back three or so hours later and noticed no more babies and what appeared to be immature or half birthed babies hanging out of the ootheca that was partially extruded from the female. Any thoughts on this?

I've had a similar scenario happen with one of my female hissers on her first birth cycle. There were about 5 babies and the rest were duds. She went on to produce many more on the next cycle. I also had a more bleak birth of just 1, a few days later the mother was clearly dying and then was dead (The nymph is now a healthy adult female). That's my experience.

It seems like a lot of hissers have these "practice" oothecae. One of my female E. javanica, which is probably about 2-3 months old as an adult, gave birth to an ootheca with about 25 eggs in it; only about 3 babies actually lived, all near the end of the ootheca. It's just the way things are I suppose.

It's a shame bit I figured as much. She still looks pregnant though which is odd and I don't think she ejected the ootheca yet. Im curious if it's possible that the nymphs were premature and she retracted the ootheca for further brooding of the survivors? I'm sure I'll find out in a few days though.

On a side note one of my Parcoblatta molted into adulthood just a few minutes ago, I'll let you guys know what species they are tomorrow once it darkens up and expands its wings. I'm convinced they are P. pennsylvanica but they could very well be P. virginica.

I cleaned and fed the Hisser enclosure today and happened upon about 30 more babies than I thought I had. I have around 65 i1 Hissers in my little tank now. I'm curious if the one that had the bad ootheca actually gave birth to the rest. Regardless, yay roaches!

I cleaned and fed the Hisser enclosure today and happened upon about 30 more babies than I thought I had. I have around 65 i1 Hissers in my little tank now. I'm curious if the one that had the bad ootheca actually gave birth to the rest. Regardless, yay roaches!

lol that almost always happens to you vfox:

you find more roaches :lol:

lobsters=babies= Aaah! what am I going to do with all these **** babies?

I have no idea but I'm glad they are doing well. I know people normally hate lobsters but they are one of my favs.

Again, to add to this ridiculous winter birthing boom my last gravid Hisser female gave birth today. I now have well over 90 Hisser i1-i2 nymphs in this enclosure...I need a bigger tank now lol...ganna switch them out with my juvenile emp tank which is twice the size for some odd reason lol.

Again, to add to this ridiculous winter birthing boom my last gravid Hisser female gave birth today. I now have well over 90 Hisser i1-i2 nymphs in this enclosure...I need a bigger tank now lol...ganna switch them out with my juvenile emp tank which is twice the size for some odd reason lol.

lol... will it ever end for you? :D :D

Sounds like time to think about feeding some out, I waited too long and now most of my hissers are almost too big for my white's tree frog to eat. I may end up seeing if some students in my class would like some males as pets or if anyone's got something bigger than my frog. The frog does love them though, I get ones just as they "unpeel" themselves, like a fresh soft warm gooey treat.