increasing size of hissers through selective breeding

I have seen extra large male hissers for sale and wondered if I was to get a few if it would increase the size of my hissers both the males and females if I eliminate any smaller males from the breeding pool? mine are not nearly as large as some that I have seen.

While some of the size is due to genes, husbandry has a lot to do with it too. If they have a balanced, nutritious diet and aren't overcrowded, your next generation might be bigger. Removing the smaller males would make larger hissers if the males are genetically small, though.

While some of the size is due to genes, husbandry has a lot to do with it too. If they have a balanced, nutritious diet and aren't overcrowded, your next generation might be bigger. Removing the smaller males would make larger hissers if the males are genetically small, though.

+1

• 3 weeks later...

There are some complex dynamics at work here. Environment, genetics, and diet interact in an intricate fashion to produce different results.

From my experience, the formula for a giant hisser (Gromphadorhina sp.) is:

Temperature: 80 degrees Fahrenheit

Humidity: Fairly high with aeration

Space: Tons of hiding places and LOW POPULATION DENSITY

Diet: Plenty of pelleted foods (Dog food, parrot food, ferret food, fish food)

Genetics: Predisposition to "giant"-ness. Your biggest G. oblongonata will be bigger than your largest G. portentosa, for example.