Molting issues

vfox

Well it's been quite a long time but my peppered roaches have finally reached sub-adult stage. Problem is my first molt to adulthood ended in being stick in the exoskeleton and dying. I only have a few of these guys and I really want them to mature correctly. My tank is around 72-75F and humidity is moderate with a generally damp/ soaked weekly substrate. I found my first adult rothi tonight so that means the only molting issues in that tank are with my peppered roaches. What are some suggestions for assuring a better final molt? Should I separate the sub adults from the mixed tank and keep them really humid? I'm really excited to finally have some adults of these critters.

Do you have many vertical/slanted surfaces for them to molt on? That helps winged species on their final molt. Your humidity sounds ok, so I'm somewhat confused!

Do you have many vertical/slanted surfaces for them to molt on? That helps winged species on their final molt. Your humidity sounds ok, so I'm somewhat confused!

Plenty of vertical areas, the one that got "stuck" was on a slanted bit of corkboard...I'm at a bit of a loss. Does ambient humidity need to be higher, Ie misting instead of damp substrate?

An adult male peppered roach just molted into adulthood without any issues...I have one huge female nymph left...so confused. Fingers crossed though.

• 2 weeks later...

Another failed to molt yesterday so I put them into my American colony. Its very humid in there;I really hope that does the trick!

:( Sorry to hear that. Got me worried just started mine Argh. Was worried about my giganteus but they're going crazy molting climbing enjoying life. Well if mine breed will gladly trade with you :rolleyes: Your chances are good soon to have way too many E. javanica. Over populated with boys and the ladies are fat more than likely prego :P