Cicindela sexguttata

Ralph

Caught a pair of these shiny little guys for my most determined effort at rearing them yet. So far, one's eaten a small spider but they're both still adjusting to the invisible walls :P . Wish me well!

Can anybody say WOOOOOT? Looks like the female's ovipositing.

WOOOOOT!

I had tiger beetles two years in a row (multiple species), but failed on all attempts to get eggs. I'll have to read that link above if I get another chance this year. I think I probably kept them too dry as they usually occur near bodies of water, when I find them. I fed them massive amounts of fruit flies and house flies. They usually live a couple months and are entertaining to watch. Good luck, Ralph and I look forward to more updates!

Thanks Peter! It's a good link.

Anyway, I added another (I think male) to the tank a few days ago. They've all adjusted to captivity well and aren't just running laps. I've been feeding them small flies, caterpillars, and nontoxic true bugs. Also, I'm going to keep the humidity in mind. Something funny is holding a drop of water at the end of a pipette in front of them. They take a bite at it when it wiggles and chew air a couple times, then go for more. :lol:

I haven't seen the female underground anymore, which means she doesn't have any more eggs now or she's just being stealthier about it!

And... it's about time tragedy strikes. I found the female and one male dead this morning, with the female missing her head. :blink::( So now I really hope I get the eggs through!

I just remembered that my Megacephala (I think the genus was changed a year or two ago) dug little caves at one point. I was encouraged that it might be a sign they were going to lay eggs, but if they did the eggs probably dried up. Nothing resembling larvae were ever located.

I'm supposed to get some Omus dejeani soon!

That Megacephala experience isn't encouraging... :mellow: Ah well, I'll update if there is further notice!

Omus remind me of smaller Pasimachus, that should be fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Omus are amazing. Have never raised any but can imagine they like it cool. Good luck

I just remembered that my Megacephala (I think the genus was changed a year or two ago) dug little caves at one point. I was encouraged that it might be a sign they were going to lay eggs, but if they did the eggs probably dried up. Nothing resembling larvae were ever located.

I'm supposed to get some Omus dejeani soon!