Males-only Hisser Enclosure

In an effort to hopefully regulate my hisser population somewhat, I moved my 4 males to their own enclosure, a very spacious 20 gallon aquarium. When they were with the ladies in the main enlosure, they battled and staked out territories. In their private tank, all 4 of them are sleeping together snuggly under a cork bark hide. Has anyone else tried this and noticed a lack of aggressive behavior when females are not present?

What kind of Hissers are they??

I am interested in this, as I have some pretty aggressive boys too...I thought about separating them, but worried the fighting would increase.

I have taken out male Dubias when the male population took over the females and wing biting occurred. This worked out ok for them it seemed. But I have not tried it with my Hissers.

Mine are Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. As I identify the male nymphs in my main tank I plan on moving them over to the males-only tank. I will see how things go...

Mine are Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. As I identify the male nymphs in my main tank I plan on moving them over to the males-only tank. I will see how things go...

I hope it works out! I have a ton of the Madagascars too.. yes, the males can get quite aggressive with one another. If this works out for you, I may also give it a try, just to balance the ratio out a bit. Right now, they are all in a huge tub and they breed like crazy! lol. I would like to slow that down a bit, so keep me informed as how it goes for you.

If you want slower production, maybe you should just lower the temperature, or take some females out before they reach adulthood. Only a handful of males is what it takes to make all of your females pregnant continuously.

If you want slower production, maybe you should just lower the temperature, or take some females out before they reach adulthood. Only a handful of males is what it takes to make all of your females pregnant continuously.

I have done that, but we have had such a hot summer, they are loving it! I really need to go thru my bin and sort some out again soon here!

Since my rhinos, and giant caves are in the same room as other roaches, I put some wet towels on their bins, and keep ventilation in the bins to a minimal so that they're kept cool by evaporation on the towels when air conditioning is off, it can be quite cold in there on a low humidity day. Not sure if it is feasible in your situation though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: The 4 males seemed so sad in their separate enclosure... I put them back in with the ladies and everybody is more active and happy again. I'll wait till the population is exploding before I move some hissers into the other enclosure, and since it has no heat source the reproduction should be kept to a minimum like someone above mentioned.