Diurnal vs nocturnal

vfox

After reading this short blog http://sandgroper14.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/heres-the-deal-with-the-cockroach/ it made me curious about what, if any, daytime active cockroaches we have here in the states...or at least in the trade.

Most, if not all of mine appear to be nocturnal and are the most active around dusk until 11pm-2am. Some are active during the day but it's pretty obvious it's not their normal active range. None of my 20 some species avoid the lights of my livingroom so I am curious. I guess my question to all of you is, does the US hobby have any daytime (true diurnal) active cockroaches?

The answer is yes. Both species of Therea are diurnal as adults. Pseudomops septentrionalis are also diurnal as adults in the wild. Parcoblatta americana has been observed during the daytime (while copulating; but that might be an exception.)

Another species that I'm sure most would kill for is Euthyrrhapa pacifica, which is introduced in Hawaii as well as Northern California. The adults (seeing a pattern here? lol) are diurnal and are supposedly common on flowers.

So I'm gathering it's a slim number that fit the truly diurnal bill. I think that it's an interesting trait for a cockroach, I find it somewhat compelling that they are all smaller species as well, are there large species internationally? I think I may need to pick up some Therea for once, lol. Anyone selling subs/adults? ;)

Also...it's in the country...why haven't we captured and bred Euthyrrhapha pacifica yet?!?!?

So I'm gathering it's a slim number that fit the truly diurnal bill. I think that it's an interesting trait for a cockroach, I find it somewhat compelling that they are all smaller species as well, are there large species internationally? I think I may need to pick up some Therea for once, lol. Anyone selling subs/adults? ;)

Also...it's in the country...why haven't we captured and bred Euthyrrhapha pacifica yet?!?!?

There are also a number of small blattellids in the tropics that are truly diurnal. As seen in your link, some of the "bush roaches" of Australia are also diurnal.

Apparently their range is very limited and is probably mostly privately owned vineyards.

Warningly-colored or very agile species are more likely to be diurnal since they have less to fear.

While most of my peppereds are reclusive until dusk, there are a couple individuals which habitually wander around by day. The most frequent of these little rebels is a gravid female with slightly wrinkled wings from her molt, I would expect her to be exceptionally careful but that's not the case!