Parthenogenesis in Blatta lateralis...

...is a real thing. Yes, this chick finally has something of worth to post on the forums! (This is what I have been looking forward to the most out of this whole experiment.)

Anyhow, I had two sets of virgin females that each made one batch (one ootheca hatched) of what are parthenogeneic offspring (and that is not a word as an adjective, but who cares). I am still waiting to see if the babies can make it to adulthood... if they do, if they are more apt to make parthenogeneic babies, etc., but if you want any more details about this experiment, message me.

I'm so excited, y'all!

It's a real pain in the rear, I must say. g_leo, did you have actual offspring or did you just have the ootheca? I had tons of ootheca but only one in my few months ever hatched. I am now wondering if I raise these new babies into mommies if they'll be more or less likely to reproduce through parthenogenesis. So pray I get a good room mate in college that will allow me to have 15 or so cockroaches. Hahaha.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this in my B. Fuscas! For about a year I've only had females, with a few unsexed large nymphs. then, just a few months ago my Fusca bin was FILLED with tiny little nymphs. These nymphs also grew MUCH faster than any of my other nymphs that were produced from mating. I've talked to a few other roach fanatics and none of them have heard of anything like this happening. When I first noticed the little nymphs I thought that I may have missed one when I last sexed them (I have a small colony), so I checked again and, sure enough, there were no males!

This would be very interesting to prove. I am not saying you are wrong. How sure are you that you females were virgins. Just curious.

I'm fairly certain that they all weren't virgins. I had a freeze in the winter of '10/'11 that sent them into a lovely frozen hibernation for a while (that killed off all but 1 or 2 males) and before that they would not breed for me. Then, all of a sudden, I had nymphs in August, I think. I was unable to get the conditions just right up until then. I may try to experiment with them next year and keep some new females in a separate tank and see what happens.

Woops! I just realized that that quote may have been aimed to the original poster! :P

I'm fairly certain that they all weren't virgins. I had a freeze in the winter of '10/'11 that sent them into a lovely frozen hibernation for a while (that killed off all but 1 or 2 males) and before that they would not breed for me. Then, all of a sudden, I had nymphs in August, I think. I was unable to get the conditions just right up until then. I may try to experiment with them next year and keep some new females in a separate tank and see what happens.

Woops! I just realized that that quote may have been aimed to the original poster! :P

Well, I wanted to hear your side of it, too, Marlene. I am certain mine were virgins as I sexed them all as large nymphs and checked on them nightly as part of the experiment and so can verify that they were all females even up to the end. I am now raising the offspring to see if they become viable adults, though they seem to be doing well. Some don't molt as fast, though, and it concerns me a lot. Anyhow, I'm too invested in these sweet things to give up even after they are adults as I'd like to see if they are more likely to reproduce again. So I'll be taking them to college with me.