Weird colored Dubia (on Spanish website)

Keith

The nymphs are bright yellow and the adults are lighter colored! Where are these found I have never seen this before? http://tuatera.com/foro/fichas-de-cria-de-presa-viva/cria-de-blaptica-dubia/

I have these pop up quite often in my colonies, though mine are more orange than yellow. At first I thought it was just nymphs that hadn't fully "hardened" after a molt. I'll try to find pictures of mine, but since the hard drive on my last comp fried, I don't have very many.

Most recent pic of mine. I've started a breeding project with these since my females all have the same pattern on one section (some almost look like twins), and most of my males have the same cross pattern on their heads (well the head shield, I don't know the term for that).

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/Edgar_Ortega/Bay%20Area%20Pet%20Expo/pet9v.jpg

Here's some others of my colony last spring

DSC05002.jpg

DSC04999.jpg

Sorry I don't have pics of my high coloured dubias, but those above are close to it, but still have way more black than my others. I'll try to get my fiancee take pics of the nymphs whenever he has a moment (they're all with him right now).

Oh, and after looking at the pic again, it looks like it could be the lighting in the photo too.

Hello,

I can confirm you that orange-looking Dubias are currently bred by german breeder Joerg Bernhardt as a new varaition that seems to be genetically. I have seen single animals pop up with other breeders to.

Additionally, when the Blaberus-species available as "Blaberus spec. Pantanal" first bred in culture, there were many light colored animals among the normal ones. I still have some photos comparing the colorations. Sadly, the bright roaches all died. Apparently, they were not well adapted for keeping them in culture. Since then, the culture got a lot more more stable and is now very easy to breed, and always hungry.

I really like the light colored ones I hope more people (in the US where I live) try to keep breeding more of them they are rare to find as of now! I have one myself, his underside is almost pure yellow it's amazing but his body is reddish-orange i'm going to try breeding him soon. I have seen pure black females, but never a pure black male. Here are some more photos of odd colored Dubia.

6450675467_2705c0c616.jpg

6328261246_0f5db3a230_m.jpg

800px-Dubia-cockroach-female-near-ruler.jpg

Blaptica004.jpg

P3140388.jpg

• Like 1

What id like to know is what causes some of them to be so colorful. I had thought diet was the cause, but if that was the case the whole colony would all be colorful. So that leaves genetics, or mabye temperature? Are these random finds, or resulting from inbreeding? Or the other case, do higher or lower temps cause them?

All I know is that anyone with these colorful dubia should try to breed more of them, people always like to buy new kinds of color morphs.

I did notice my reddish-orange dubia male is more aggressive/dominant than his darker male counterparts, so im hoping he will father lots of babies, then I can see if his color was passed on or not. If he mates, by the end of this year I will know the results.

Hey Keith, could I get a link to that second picture down? That looks my hand and my dubia! lol Yes, I'm weird and I try to memorize my dubias' patterns.

But anyway, it would be nice if other people did breed the more colourful dubias. Especially since I'd like some "fresh genes" in with mine to prove out the possible dominant pattern.

I just separated a bunch (50-100) from my colony, plus the three most colorful females (with very prominent orange), and the brightest male I could find. I am sure some of the nymphs I gathered are just not finished molting, so I'll check on them in a couple days and put those ones back. I have no idea where they originated, I wanted as healthy a colony as I could get so I bought them from 4 different sources so I'd have genetic diversity.

I'll attempt to get a colony going with just these ones, and see what happens. No pics for now, since I seem to have forgotten my camera :).

I just separated a bunch (50-100) from my colony, plus the three most colorful females (with very prominent orange), and the brightest male I could find. I am sure some of the nymphs I gathered are just not finished molting, so I'll check on them in a couple days and put those ones back. I have no idea where they originated, I wanted as healthy a colony as I could get so I bought them from 4 different sources so I'd have genetic diversity.

I'll attempt to get a colony going with just these ones, and see what happens. No pics for now, since I seem to have forgotten my camera :).

That sounds great, when you get a chance pictures would be great I love seeing all the cool colored roaches!

Here is the foundation for my new breeding program of light colored dubias. Judging by the chewed up wings on the male, I'd say these are from my original big group that came from one breeder. The adults here are over a year old, I think I might just take them out and see what the nymphs do. I am going to keep them in a 5 gallon acrylic fish tank with a light on them. The light is for observation and heat, because I can't feasibly set up a heating pad where I want them. And who knows, maybe I'll end up breeding a strain of less light sensitive dubias (I know how unlikely this is, I am not actually expecting it). The light will be off at night, and I'll give them dark places to hide.

That's amazing they are light colored! I'm raising dubia for the first time and all my nymphs are dark brown like wood chips so yeah yours are much, much lighter. You've got so many id say your close to being the first who could almost guarantee light stock and you said your adults have lived over a year, so clearly you also have very healthy stock which is always a plus!

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder what the genetic details are like... We are pretty sure it's not diet-related right?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder what the genetic details are like... We are pretty sure it's not diet-related right?

I'm pretty sure if it was diet related every roach would be light in color being they all are eating the same foods.

That's what I'm thinking, wouldn't they all be like that if it were diet? I don't feed a specific diet, it's very random (for variety), they just get whatever I feel like giving them.

I took a new photo, this is when I first put them in their new tank. In the cup are some of their "siblings", of the normal color variety.

Same here I feed a variety of foods even ones with color enhancer and it has not changed there color at all, it has to be genetic. Even the normal dark nymphs can be a wide range of colors as adults, so your light nymphs really could be shades of red,orange, and yellow which would make them really colorful! You can try feeding other foods if you like but I still think it won't change color.

I feed mine oranges,bananas,apples,cat kibble, romaine lettuce, carrots, white bread, papaya, cooked hamburger meat as a treat, and baby iguana fruit pellets.

The nymphs are bright yellow and the adults are lighter colored! Where are these found I have never seen this before? http://tuatera.com/f...blaptica-dubia/

The New color dubia is not a sub species (i thought it was last year when i saw them for sale)but a color morp that has been isolated in Germany and is being bred for fun.

Everybody Loves Dubia

The nymphs are bright yellow and the adults are lighter colored! Where are these found I have never seen this before? http://tuatera.com/f...blaptica-dubia/

The New color dubia is not a sub species (i thought it was last year when i saw them for sale)but a color morp that has been isolated in Germany and is being bred for fun.

Everybody Loves Dubia

I asked about this on another forum and everyone thought it was just a rare occurrence especially living in the US, not Germany how does the US get German stock anyways? I'm still going to try and breed some myself I have one male like this.

It is definitely not diet related as all of mine eat the same thing.

It is genetics as I had a male with a particular pattern that seemed to have gone to almost all of its offspring. I believe that all of my males who came from him have the same prothorax pattern, a very light cross with reduced black to the point that there is almost no black. The females that I believe came from him are bright orange with reduced black and they all have the same pattern between their wing stubs. As soon as I buy a camera I will take pictures of them.

I also isolated a select few of these dubias to breed. I have one container with bright coloured dubias and the other with almost solid black dubias. So far I have plenty of offspring in both containers, and to ensure that my one solid black female has offspring, I just put her and my male together in a separate container last week. These dubias have been separated from the rest of my colony for quite a few months and none of my females looked pregnant when I first separated them, so hopefully it's all the genetics of the males I selected for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, new development here. After putting the light dubia in their own tank, I kinda forgot about them. They haven't had any heat or food (which I knew was ok, because I kept some without heat for months before I started breeding and they didn't eat much, and didn't grow). So I checked on them today, and several have turned dark, like really dark. They seem to be newly molted ones (but not white anymore, of course). I removed the dark ones and I am going to feed the remaining with non-orange food and see what happens. Maybe it is diet. There seem to be more and more in the main bin that are light like this. The new tank also has less humidity than the bin.

its just a fresh molt i have alot of them

i honestly laughed a bit after reading the huge discussion on this topic i know we all have our moments im not saying i dont lol

• 6 months later...