Dubia offspring from same Mom appear to all be female!

Keith

My Dubia nymphs are pretty large I think they are subadults they are close to same size as adult dubia. In my tank I have 1 adult female and 2 adult males. My only female got pregnant by a 2 year old male, yes males can live more than a year and still breed!

I was online looking how to sex them, and noticed that sub adult males will have long wing pads and females dont, all of my nymphs look female no long wing pads and they are all wide bodied not elongated. I have about 25 or so nymphs and until they mature I guess I cant be 100% sure they all are female, but if they are is this a freak occurrance? I thought males were more common in litters?

Being I only had 1 female, do you think she actually was able to determine the gender of all her babies and made them female being the "population" only had her for a female?

This would be incredible if they all are female.

As they turn to adults i'll try to tally the sex ratio.

The best way to sex them early Keith is by looking at their "rumps" Flip them over, and the male has a more elongated end with an extra segment, almost V shaped. The female is more U shaped and wider with out the extra segment. I know there are photos here in the forum somewhere.. I will try and find them. Otherwise I will come back and post a photo I have of male/female of a different species.

Yes, you can sex them as nymphs! It just takes a bit more intense looking.. I use a magnifying glass, but then again, my eye site is not wonderful. But yes, you can sex them the same way as you would sex adults. :)

Yes, you can sex them as nymphs! It just takes a bit more intense looking.. I use a magnifying glass, but then again, my eye site is not wonderful. But yes, you can sex them the same way as you would sex adults. :)

o.O That is awesome! Can you sex nymphs at every size? I mean, can the very little ones sexed?

Btw it's off I think, so I will write a message to you if you don't mind about the nymph's sex.

o.O That is awesome! Can you sex nymphs at every size? I mean, can the very little ones sexed?

Btw it's off I think, so I will write a message to you if you don't mind about the nymph's sex.

I don't think you can sex really small ones our eyes don't see that we'll, but medium to large nymphs you can, this link explains everything. http://www.forums.repashy.com/diets-live-foods-supplements/38804-how-sex-dubia-roach-nymphs.html